Back to warmer climes


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
April 10th 2009
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after a brief sojourn in the hills a quick flight (should have been but due to bizarre India bureacracy a wasted day at Siliguri airport (I really dont like Siliguri!) to New Delhi and straight out again on the train to Amritsar and the Pakistan border at Wagah.

The golden temple is a truly wondrous and spiritual place. I spent the best partt of the day just taking in the atmosphere and the incredble sight of the temple and its surrounds. The Sikhs are a very frinedly and respectful poeple, this was the only place in India I wasnt subject to any begging and attempts at scamming.

The border ceremony was great fun, it was more like a football match. It's hard to put into words, I've added a link to Michael Palin's take on it, and it was an identical experience for me. Comical and impressive all rolled into one.

It was now getting to last week of my stay so another train journey to arrive into the golden trinagle of Rajasthan and the walled city of Jaipur ...

Wagah ceremony -




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Scary soldiersScary soldiers
Scary soldiers

The effect was ruined when they broke out into the Monty Python school of silly marches :)


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb