Mumbai to Pune and the UWC--India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Pune
June 26th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Travel from Mumbai to Pune. Today started with a pack up and move out from the Marigold Hotel to the MUWCI (Mahindra United World College) Campus in Pune. Driving out of Mumbai, you realize why it is most populus city on earth, the high rises go on for seemingly ever. Then the landscape changed to moutains as we climbed the Dacan plateau. With many open waterfalls, and lush vegetation during the rainy season, the landscape reminds me very much of costa rica and other tropical locations.

We planned for a 3.5 hour bus ride that actually took 5. Along the way we stopped at a rest stop, and learned that we were not the only ones having a get-away from Mumbai. We arrrived to a great lunch and a warm welcome from teh Muwci staff and students Yet, both students and teaches were flexible and patient as the large 50 seater bus navigated the narrow roads to the MUWCI Campus. MWUCI, has a three part mission: multi-culturalism, peace, and the environment. More on Muwci tomorrow, but two important notes. In any given year there are 60-80 nationalities represented on campus, and even though the students are at MUWCI only two years, that mix makes a very lasting impression. Many go on to universities in the US. Our purpose in coming to MUWCI is quickly apparent as the two muwci students in our group dash off to meet other friends who are back on campus. Strong relationships are the key to strong leadership, and if every person every day worked on building relationships, it would be a much better world.

In the afternoon, we were treated to a great collaborative leaership session lead by Vishwas. He was on his game and lead the group through a series of cultural perspective activites. He ended with a team activity called Key Punch, which is a wonderful chance to reflect on leadership, collaboration, and who were fighting for in this world.

We ended the day with a good talking circle. Matt framed with some memroies of Simon Bailey and used his memoiral bracelet as the talking stick. This realy sealed in our past two days of learning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



28th June 2010

Hello from Peru!
Matt - I send you lots of greetings from Peru! I am enjoying the Winter (WOW) and am happy to be somewhere where the World Cup is of utmost importance. It looks like all is going tremendously well for you and the GYLI group - What abundant and privledged lives we lead to be able to travel the globe and to open it up to such lovely young people. Peace to you and all with you - looking forward to when our festive paths cross again!! Cecilia PS - A big HELLO to Vishwas and his wonderful family - I still miss my henna hand!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb