A slow start--then quick acceleration


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Pune
June 25th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A good first day of year 3 programming, though we had to wait for three hours for everyone to show up for the party. We had intended to start at 9:30 am, which suddenly became 11:30 as several groups ran into travel snags. The gyli staff has now resolved to add sdoku and crossword puzzles to our program booklets should this happen again in the future. I finally opened the program with a presentation about the brief history and visions of GYLI. Then it was time of games. Emily led name toss, lane did the great wind blows, Imroz did her now-famous “alive, awake, alert, enthusiastic,” and Amit led walking partner tag in a very small space. Once we get people talking a laughing, then we are moving.
After lunch Matt facilitated a “Leadership Styles inventory” which is a similar activity that we do in Year 2 New Mexico. Since only 1 in the group had been to the New Mexico program—we thought it would work well. After the participants placed themselves into one of 4 leadership styles (director, expresser, thinker, harmonizer) they were given a group task of planning a hunger event with specific parameters. It was great to watch the groups interact and then present their ideas.

After this activity we asked the group from College Prep School in Oakland, CA to present their experiences from the rest of their India trip. They had so far been to Dehli, Agra (location of the Taj Mahal) and Jaipur. It was the usual chaotic student presentation—and of course they didn’t know they were presenting until they arrived at the hotel and I informed them, so they can’t be blamed for a bit of disorganization.

One thing we have learned from our experiences in Costa Rica is that we need our participants to interact more with the local communities (other than just in the homestays). We set out to do this with a 45 minute walk in the neighborhood of the hotel. It is a very interesting to walk the streets in Mumbai, to see the shops, the traffic, and all the chaos of the largest city on planet earth.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



26th June 2010

Sounds like you're up for a great experience in India! What sort of work will you be doing there with GYLI? My boyfriend and I have a community travel blog, and we're always looking for travel photos, social commentaries, volunteer info, reviews, etc. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email us at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Enjoy your time in India! Heather :)

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb