Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Blogs from Pune
Latest Blogs from Pune
- February 10th 2014 Palolem to Pune
by Words: 1440 Photos: 10
- January 13th 2014 Pune
by Words: 403 Photos: 5
- November 1st 2013 India. Anew.
by Words: 934 Photos: 74
- February 11th 2013 Travels with Satish (3 Weeks) – Goa; Satara, Ajanta, Ellora & Pune (Maharastra) – Part 2
by Words: 3784 Photos: 44
- June 9th 2012 Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 June
by Words: 366 Photos: 0
- June 9th 2012 Saturday 9 June
by Words: 293 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2012 Lesson 1: You can eat a drive-through McDonald's without getting Delhi Belly
by Words: 471 Photos: 0
- June 2nd 2012 Lesson 2: You don't need sleep to go dancing
by Words: 185 Photos: 0
- May 25th 2012 Getting there...
by Words: 280 Photos: 0
- May 15th 2012 Dare to Live
by Words: 104 Photos: 0
- May 7th 2012 Day 38 - Pune, India - Rajiv Ghandi Zoo, Pune.
by Words: 308 Photos: 49
- April 29th 2012 Day 29 - Pune, India - Sicilia's Bar and Restaurant - Mohan's Leaving Do and the WTF Burger!!
by Words: 278 Photos: 30
- April 29th 2012 Day 30 - Pune, India - Laxmi Road Market and Pune Palace
by Words: 353 Photos: 35
- April 26th 2012 Day 27 - Pune, India - Traditional Hindu Wedding
by Words: 307 Photos: 51
- April 23rd 2012 Day 22 - Pune, India - MG Road (Muhatma Ghandi Road) Pune.
by Words: 239 Photos: 14
- April 21st 2012 Day 21 - Pune, India - Pune Dam, Lions Fort and Hard Rock Cafe!
by Words: 574 Photos: 100
- April 16th 2012 Day 14 - Pune, India - Miami Nightclub Marriott Hotel
by Words: 241 Photos: 5
- April 16th 2012 Day 15 - Pune, India - Zafrans Restaurant - Jas' Birthday
by Words: 197 Photos: 43
- April 15th 2012 Cows, Camels and Cuisine - Welcome to India
by Words: 1024 Photos: 32
- April 13th 2012 Day 12 - Pune, India
by Words: 120 Photos: 17