The start!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
October 30th 2011
Published: October 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! To start at the start...The Sheraton hotel was very nice, me Heather and Ciaran all enjoyed one last hot shower! Everything went well with the flights apart from mine and Heathers TV didn't work for 6 hours!! Going to complain about that one..

So we land in Mumbai and sort out our accomodation (bearing in mind that it is 4am) We are going to stay in the Salvation Army for a few hours (as we have to check out at 9)

I must say that the drive to the hotel was actually not as shocking as I thought it would be. Of course it is unbelievable the amount of people sleeping in the street and the shanty looking pavement houses. I think I over prepared and was expecting the entrance to Dantes Inferno. We check into the sauna of a dorm room, and I could see it in Heathers and Jodies face 'Holy shit why am I here!'

Any ways after no sleep we checked out and tried to find the other hostel. Hotel Lawrence was not that far but in the humidity, heat and general tireness it felt like a marathon. Worth it as the hostel was really good.

First night we went for a wander and for something to eat. The touts are bad but not as bad as I found in Thailand. And surprisingly there weren't that many beggars. Heather had rice which has become her staple food for the last 5 days. She actually ordered chicken last night!!!

Next day we were up early for the Dharvi slum tour. Ranesh picked us up, our guide. First we went to the red light district which was full of prositiutes however they look the same as normal Indian women but just wear make up.. Maddness. Then to the Dhobi Ghat which is the biggest open air laundry place in Mumbai. That was amazing too (see Jodies pics). Even the hospital send their stuff to be cleaned there.

The slum itself was massssssive. We started at the factories, plastic sorting, baking (puff pastry that is sold around the world!), anything you can think of is re-used and sold. We went up onto a tin roof of a shack to get a good look (don't have a heart attack Aunty Bern!) Everything is so orgainised and everyone has a job role and purpose it acutally really shames everyone in England.

We went then and had some chai and moved onto the residental area. The alley ways between these houses are about the width of my shoulders. The 'houses' themselves are a 10ft by 10ft room in which 5-8 people live, sleep and cook. It was so eye opening as to how easy we have it at home but at how much people moan that they want more.

The next day was Diwali. We walked along Marine Drive and up to Cowpatty beach and got something to eat. Over dinner we discussed how disappointed we were with the level of celebration. WHAT AN UNDESTATEMENT!!!!!!! As we left the fire works began. I'm not talking a massive organised display. Just people on the side of the road with fire works, rockets, bangers, catherine wheels. You name it. We had to run passed many of them as they were being lit for fear of being hit in the face. (On man did get hit in the face as did several cars) At first it was fun but a mile into the walk home it got quiet annoying having to dodge flying things etc. Can honestly say it was the closet thing to a war zone! Jodie walked into a cloud of gunpowder so we called it a night and went home.

Finally! Elephanta island! Got the boat out which was 'deluxe'. Or by Indian standards we had a seat for the hour trip! The caves are really nice and Heather and Ciaran took a zillion photos of monkeys, baby monkeys, monkeys drinking water. I'm sure you'll see them on here!

Last day we went to Leopolds and had some amazing chicken! And then we went to the Hanging gardens to kill an hour, which in all honesty were shit.

Until next time (in Goa)!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb