Dripping round Mumbai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
March 29th 2006
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Okay...so it's hot!!! Bit of an understatement, Bombay was swealtering...I'd walk a few feet and be dripping wet.

Mumbai's a great city...however it does one of, it not the largest slums in the world...so my train arriving at 5am proved a real eye opener...this is the first time I've seen people taking a dump, they were using the side of the rail tracks...happy as you like squatting and having a shit! Still if you've gotta go!

Bit of a shocker as in 4 weeks this is the first time I've seen this and on such a massive scale...all those early morning bowel movements to shift!

Train dropped me off north of the main backpacker area in Bandra...dodgy rickshaw man took me all over the place to get to Bandra station, apararently there's two east and west, of which I didn't know which to use to get the local train down to Churchgate, near Colaba. However on arrival at the furthest one away I got the impression you could walk from one to the other over the bridge!

Got well ripped off as they all pretty good at using the meter in Mumbai so you get an honest fare, but not this guy or the taxi guy who took me to bentley from Churchgate. Must have looked like a newby!

Managed to get into Bentley's hotel, pricey at 850rp but room was ok.

Bumped into Karema and Lawrence, 2 french girls, Karema I had met in Jodphur and bumped into again in Udaipur. We decided to hang out and wander around the city. So we took in India Gate, Elephanta (which someone had advised me not to do!) and the Taj Mahal Palace hotel.

The girls and I sorted train tickets for Aurangebad as we all wanted to see the Ellora caves

Set off for India Gate and Elephanta, Elephanta was amazing, considering I'd been told it was crap...we read in LP that you got a free tour with the more expensive boat (20rps) extra....well worth it, the guide was fantastic

Later went to get some food at Bademiya, which I'd been advised to go to by some Indian people I'd met in Jaipur who lived in Bombay. Amazing the food was awesome...basic place but you get all sorts there from every walk of life as it's so good!

Next day, took
BadeMiyaBadeMiyaBadeMiya

The best kebabs in the world!
in the Dabba Wallas, who bring in the packed lunches from masses of Indian wives and distribute to various work places in the city...There were so many to deliver it's unbelievable that they get them out there and with no mistakes. Also took in the University and the Courts, ended up wandering round where the court rooms were! didn't go in to courtroom as was changing session, but still interesting to see.

Saw Crawford market in early part of afternoon, which was facinating to see everything from spices, fruit, veg, toothpaste, pets, and meat being prepared and sold...not sure I'll be eating chicken again!

To cool down in AC to in Bollywood (ish) movie...Being Cyrus...it was in english and a Bollywood attempt at American style movie...The verdict...crap...saw a better bollywood movie on the bus to Goa!

The girls left after 30 mins but I was enjoying air conditioning too much.. got my hair cut and had a head massage at a barbers down the main street in colaba...they should do that at home!

Then headed off to Victoria station to catch the train to Aurangebad and the Ellora caves



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Crawford MarketCrawford Market
Crawford Market

This guy can handle his melons
Crawford MarketCrawford Market
Crawford Market

Fruit and Veg man with his fruit and Veg


2nd July 2006

Hey Shane, Your blog is terrific. I live in US now but am from Mumbai originally. There's a few mistakes I found in your Mumbai blog. 1] The 'Gate' at Appollo Harbor in Mumbai is 'Gateway of India ' and not 'India Gate' which is in Delhi. The pic you have posted also says ' India Gate' which should be changed to ' Gateway of India'. 2] 'Dhobie' is a washer-man......guy who washes clothes. The amazing people who carry the lunch boxes with such clock work precision and accuracy everyday are called 'Dabba Wallas', Dabba meaning lunch box. So please change 'Dhobie Wala' and 'Dobbie Wala' to 'Dabba Walla'. And keep up your good work. All the best. -Aditya Raje

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb