Our very first day in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
January 24th 2013
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 1

So here we are 😊

All was going really well from the time we left prague, we got to Turkey safe and sound and had a little wait in the airport the only bad thing was that a beer cost us a tenor,so we splashed out and had only 1, we then flew to Mumbai where the shit hit the fan, i wanted to kick the shit out of someone or anyone. first of all the flight was delayed by a half hour, then it was delayed by another 2 and a half hours, them my iphone wouldnt charge as everyone elses did charge and the beers and food was unbelievably high priced so we sat sulking until our stupid plane finally arrived, remember these were all connecting flights so we were literarly travelling for a day, finally got onto our last flight to kerela and the smell of dirt and sweat getting onto the plane was horrifying until i sat in my seat and saw 2 lovely pieces of used chewing gum stuck in front of me beside me and all around me, at this stage i actually thought i want to go home, i hate this place but fair play to sim she persisted in telling me it would all be ok, o i forgot to mention we got ripped off for 30 dolars at mumbai airport by these so called security. anyway we made it to kerela, got the craziest taxi ride in the world where i actually thought i died twice but made it. from then on its been amazing so ill let sim tell you the good stuff.

So we've been here just for a few hours and already experienced soo much. What Davy calls hating, i call the cultural shock which i believe is a must part of being in India. and i absolutely love it from the first second. the smell (stink actually), the noise, the dirt, soo many Indians, but also the undescriable heat, the athmosphere, yummy indian food, friendly people... all of that is just so different and intense that one doesn't have time to think about anything than about this only present moment. It's an amazing feeling of being alive and trying to absorb everything by every single cell of the body. After the awful travel experience (something like 6000 km or more), we got a taxi from Kochi airport to the Fort Cochin and got into the chaos and madness of indian driving, had to take a ferry which was a lovely surprise, saw the famous Chinese fishing nets (which apparently do not have anything to do wit China at all) and finally arrived into our Daffodil homestay. Absolutely lovely, friendly, clean place which was exactly what we needed. Cold shower helped us to survive the initial heat shock and we got enough courage to go and explore the town. Like a magic, minute by minute, Davy was loosing his "i hate this place" feeling and started enjoying the magic of India with me. We did a nice walk along river with the Chinese fishing nets, got our first real meal (althoug Davy's cheese macaroni is not the typical meal that one would imagine as an Indian food). I got super extra spicy vegeterian kurma which made me almost cry 😉 We got tuk-tuk into a beer selling shop which was Davy's first tuk-tuk experience and he absolutely loved it and he also was allowed to skip a long queue of Indian people in the shop, just because he is a foreigner.

So to sum up, we made all the typical beginners mistakes, which we wanted to avoid... Mumbai airport scam, swallowing a few drops of tap water while having a short shower (maybe just a one, tiny one), forgetting hand sanitizer when going to town for a meal and also forgetting to apply a mosquito repellent. lets blame the tiredness after the extremely long journey, any of that won't happen again 😊 now, there is just lots of adventures waiting for us 😊 I think the reality of being here hit us hard, its so exciting and hard to believe we are going to be here for so many months.



Greetings to all of you from Simona and Davy xxx



Czech version:

Hlavne pro moji maminku. Panenka i modry pejsek pro stesti nam uspesne pomahaji prodirat se prvotnimi zadrhely. Nechali jsme se napalit na letisti v Mumbaji, klasicka zacatecnika chyba! Na letisti v Mumbaji jsme cekali snad 6 hodin, kdy to vypadalo ze Davy se proste obrati a poleti domu. Vypadalo to, ze nejde nejakou zemi vic nenavidet, ale nastesti mu to moc dlouho nevydrzelo 😊 Ted uz si uzivame klidu a teplicka (31 stupnu ve stinu) ve Fort Cochin v nadhernem ubytovani, co se jmenuje Petrklic. Davy si uzil prvni jizdu tuk-tukem, zvladli jsme prvni "indicke" jidlo (syrove makarony pro Davyho 😊 a silene palive curry pro Simonku) a teprve az ted si asi uvedomujeme, ze tady budeme na pristich par mesicu. Pres vsechno co je na Indie silene, jako zapach (uff sileny na letisti v Mumbaji), neuveritelne mnozstvi Indu, spina, pohubli pejskove pobihajici po ulicich, je proste na Indii neco magickeho. Zkusim jeste poslat par fotek a zase se brzo ozvem. Moc zdravi Simona a Davy xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb