These guys are nutters!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
April 10th 2006
Published: May 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a night on the bumpiest road in India I made it to Hampi!

Fantastic place, scenary amazing! Used to be a city called Vijayanagar, ruined city in the midest of masses of boulders and banana plantations. It was founded in 1336 and reached a population of 500K. Now it's a small, friendly village - very chilled.

Hung out for an extra day for the festival celebrating Shivaratri, the wedding of the Hindu God Shiva and Pawarti. Two massive temple chariots rumble down the town's main street and everyone throws bananas at them for good luck.

Got some cracking video footage of the event...drummers, food stalls, bangle sellers...a real melay of activity. The Indians definately know how to party...give em a couple of drums and they'll have the place rocking!

Met a few cool people, but mostly hoofed it round looking at the ruins of the old city. Too hot in the middle of the day so decided to take up the siesta habit.

After 5 weeks finally got up for a sunrise, so a 5.45am alarm got me up and climbed up to an old temple on Matanga hill....went back to bed afterwards...hard day that!
Shiva CharriotShiva CharriotShiva Charriot

Chariot pulled down street in Hampi to celebrate marriage of Shiva to Pawarti
Hired a bike too!!! Exciting eh!

After festival tried to get out of town on buses, but no hope as the place was packed...ended up crashing this rickshaw of a Korean guy and getting stung by the rickshaw driver as there were now two of us and the original price was neg'd on one!

Loads of photos but had to save them to disc and it's proving harder to get them online than initially expected...will upload in future



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb