Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
January 28th 2009
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Boulders, ruins and hammocks.............sounds good to me!

We got to Hampi after nearly 30 hrs of trains and travel, (not all hardship as along the way we had some of the best tandoor chicken.. and a few beers). Alas, we got to Hampi too late to find a place to stay so the four of us slept on the floor of a rooftop restaurant for the night! Ordered some late night samosas, and they came with green chili sauce. I love this stuff. It is a potato/chili sauce from Bhutan. Surprisingly, not a bad sleep at all! Actually I think it is the way to travel, you just wake up and order breakfast.. perfect!

In the morning we crossed the river to the other side of Hampi and found little bungalows and called them home for the next few days.

Hampi is a relaxing and friendly little place set among rice paddies and temple ruins. We took a rickshaw around the sites. Went to Anegundi to see some temples, not much really, beautiful drive here. Scary part was there used to be a bridge to get into this town, however it collapsed the day before, and a 120 people were killed! Police everywhere to keep us tourists away from taking pictures, understandably. There were boats out on the river dragging it for bodies.

We relaxed on our last few days before Derrick and Jillene headed off. They left us heading to Mysore and we loitered around Hampi for a few more days awaiting our trains to Varanassi.




Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Me and Joanna
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

Bathtime
Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

the crew
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Joanna
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

still unearthing
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Derrick
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Joanna
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

water reservoir
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

long entrance
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

lizard I found along the way
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

landscape
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

example of the carving
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

sunset over the river I was about to fall in!
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

Oh India!


7th August 2010

Amazing and Wonderful
These are some of the most beautiful pictures of the Hampi...........I loved them. beautiful.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb