Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
December 21st 2008
Published: December 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After taking a long train journey we arrived at Hospet early morning from where we took a rikshaw to Hampi. The rikshaw driver seemed to still be sleeping and clearly not focused as he hit a dog who was peacefully sleeping in the middle of the road. Well, at least that's the impression we both had as the dog started howling and crying loundly.

Hampi was the medieval capital of the Hindu empire Vijayanagara which means the City of Victory. The village is one of the most popular tourist attractions in India and the Karnataka state. It is actually listed as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Dotted around the hills and valleys are 500 plus monuments. Among them are beautiful temples, basement of palaces, remains of aquatic structures, ancient market streets, royal pavilions, bastions, royal platforms, treasury buildings.., the list is practically endless. Hampi is a backpackers’ paradise, the same way the pilgrims’ delight.

We spent 3 days in Hampi, strolling around, chilling out in the cafes, doing sightseeing, buying jewelery and some other unnecessary stuff before we moved on to Goa....




Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb