Last couple days in Cochin


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
July 5th 2008
Published: July 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

mika 001mika 001mika 001

Benson and Guido with me and Jay
Hello friends! So since my last blog we we had a couple more days in the Cochin area. That night I did my last blog jay and I were to get on the beers, so we treated ourselves to a really nice 3 course local fish dishes and a had a few there which was really nice at a place right on the sea, but the beers were a bit costly so we thought we'de buy some vodka off the place an head back to the hotel. We were in our room during the nightly 30 mins blackout and heard our Home stay guy Benson playing some sort of instrumentso we went out and shared some drinks with him and then another traveller from Germany came out and we all had a few drinks!It was pretty cool had the German guy (Guido) was coming to the end of his travels and so had loads of storiess for us!

The next day was the day of 'Mika's stolen passport fiasco'! We slept in till bout 1pm because we were a bit hungover but also beacuase the monsoon was in full swing and there wasnt much point of braving the rain!we started
mika 002mika 002mika 002

Our first room
packing up our stuff I couldnt find my passport anywhere! Later that day just before we were going to the police I found in in between one of my book, so freakin' relieved haha! that night our hotel guy Benson said he had a present for us...a bottle of Brandy haha! SO we stayed up with him an Guido again ,listening to some music.

The nextday we caught the ferry to Ernakulem, on the mainland of India...oh my god, what a hell hole! It really sucked, especially our room (saying that, it was less that one pound to stay) The room was horrible and the bathroom was even worse,hopefully I get the pictures on here! But we got through it so its funny now!

The next day in Ernakulem, there was a polital strike so we couldnt go on our Kerala Backwaters tour, which really sucked and even worse we had to walk for ages to find water and food because everywhere was closed due to the stike. Its fair to say that Jay and I hate Ernalulem with a passion! Although in park before our train jouney we talked to a few really nice guys who just wanted to practice their english and here about England, not wanting any money or anything! That was refreshing!

So that night we got on our 12 hour train journey to Bangalore in our 3rd clas air conditioned bit. It wasnt to bad though, read my book for the first 3 hours then slept for most of the journey as we had a 'bed' in there in rows of 3 upward!

We got to Banglore and went to our hotel which we booked for one night beforehand, it was soooo far out of town and a proper scary slum, especially at night! And none of the rickshaw drivers new where it was!the hotel itself was really nice tho so it was good to sleep somewhere nice!That night we had few beers to check out some of the bars, its so unlike india to a bar and club scene here in Bangalore but they do and we're gonna take full advantage of it! Today we found a new place to stay In Bangalore right in the centre of town, will be loud and more expensive but convenient. Its crazy the fine lines of poverty and an afluent city here, you see it on TV and read in books but it really is so weird hos in the city centre its a thriving metropolitan city an then 3 minutess drive and your in a poverty stricken slum,crazy stuff.

Oh and another thing...we broke yesterday....we went to KFC haha!just needed something that wasnt spicy for once, you know? So anyway its time to get some lunch then find a happy hour some where because we're going out tonight, out first proper night out on our travels so shud be awesome!!!We're here for about four more nights then taking the train off to Hampi. Speak to you soon

Mika x


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

mika 005mika 005
mika 005

fort cochin rickshaw
mika 006mika 006
mika 006

road down fort cochin
mika 013mika 013
mika 013

Jay on the ferry to Ernakulem...big mistake!
mika 015mika 015
mika 015

Yes, this was actaully our toilet in the...'Hell Hole'
mika 016mika 016
mika 016

Ernakulem Street
mika 018mika 018
mika 018

Hell Room...but was less that 1 pound
mika 019mika 019
mika 019

having a good ol' squat
mika 021mika 021
mika 021

On our sleeper train journey
mika 022mika 022
mika 022

I love squating!
mika 023mika 023
mika 023

first beer in Bangalore
mika 024mika 024
mika 024

long day...


5th July 2008

love it...
looks like u guys are havin an awesome time, im pretty jealous! that toilet reminded me of 43... good times. keep the updates coming mate, i rly love readin bout what uv been upto! love and kisses, munce xx

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb