Bangalore sights


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
March 10th 2007
Published: March 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dedicated to Jaspreet Laly - RIP!!

My arrival at Shamashree Hotel was a pleasant journey from Bangalore airport. The general infrastructure could instantaneously be seen as an improvement upon Chennai. The roads are wider with less traffic attributable to the system. The buildings also have more promise, providing familiarity to a rather western city..



The saturday provided me with sight-seeing opportunities. The traditional tourist approach was actually quite essential because i had no knowledge of Bangalore, and no familiarity with the city as a whole.
I arranged a driver through the hotel, with specific instructions to have a speed-guided tour of all the sights around inner Bangalore. Touring with a rickshaw could have provided a more feasible approach but this method has its limits.
My driver spoke good english and soon began to extensively outlay the impressive aspects of this modern indian city. I was able to see palaces, grand government buildings, city gardens, shopping malls, markets and temples. Through each respective location it was easy to identify with Bangalore. Many of the people had a welcoming attitude and enjoyed endorsing their city to others. The british empire's influence was easily palpable in the city centre especially.
City GardensCity GardensCity Gardens

240 acres of garden land in the city, with evidence of british architecture throughout
This was recognised through street names, building architecture and the general public personna.

A fun packed 4 hour guided tour ended with me visiting an Asian Arts store. The sales manager instantly recognised i was of North Indian descent and was overjoyed to see a fellow northerner. I could see this gentleman was Kashmiri by seeing his green coloured eyes, but was initially perplexed by his reaction. His warmth depicted an overseas relatives reaction after years of not seeing each other. The north indian connection drew great discussion between us both and certainly showed me the importance of geography amongst indians as well.
Im a southerner in the UK, yet a northerner in india...interesting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th March 2007

Update
Mate good to hear you're having a good time. Glad to see you're doing something more original than just writing random pap on peoples' walls on facebook like a certain balding, once fat, thai he/she shagging former Notts uni boy. Can see you're really enjoying it there and actually doing something good with your elective. Very impressive. I'm working in Bournemouth at the moment which is a pretty heavy party town. People think nothing of going home at four on a school night. Crazy! Peace. Out.
18th April 2007

Tipusultans palace photo
I enjoy your blog The palace looks like a temple to me!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb