Over the pass and then it all went downhill from there....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Zanskar
November 7th 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Again 2 days in one.

From Lhakang 4700m to Ramjak 4400m but over the HIGHEST pass of the trek: Shingo La 5095m!

The day after Ramjak 4400m to Palamo 3700m and then....

So, first we went over the famous Shingo La, although it was our highest pass, it wasn't the hardest, we were now in top shape and very well acclimatized. Like you'll see in the video, after that it was all down hill. During the night we also had our lowest temperature of the trip -3°C.

But it all went downhill with our horsemen too, we really wanted to stay in another camping that night as it fitted our plans much better, but as Shashi is more stubborn than his mules he chose differently. Now I told him what I thought of all this and the mood went also downhill.

The next day we just went on our own, knowing we should camp in Palamo.

As we descended the valley we came crossed a motorcycle. He wanted to see the end of the road. Paradoxically, HIS end of the road, was our BEGINNING of the road! A bit later we also stumbles on the first tarmac/asphalt road.

But the HORROR: Palamo camping; it was the same camping used by the road workers, so loads of machinery, asphalt and an army camp. It definitely didn't appeal to us, I didn't even took the time to take a picture. Actually it was middle afternoon, and very fast we were zapped several kilometers away: We asked at the army base if we could go down with somebody, and so the main engineer said we could go with him in 20minutes!!!

Quickly gathering our stuff from the donkeys, separating our stuff from the horsemen stuff, paying them and hup we were in the car. We skipped the last day of trek to Darcha, there were beautiful views, but along the tarmac road. Anyway very soon we arrived in Darcha and jumped on the bus that was just about to leave to Keylong the next stop on the Manali-Leh Road.

It was very strange to have our trek interrupted so quickly like that, we were in shock, but there was also no point at walking that last bit of road, especially as the mood with Shashi was completely bad too.

An end in minor, but a major trek!!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 82; dbt: 0.14s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb