Historical Hill Stations


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Dharamsala
May 2nd 2006
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

After recovering a few days back in dehli i ventured back to the hills. This time not as far as West Bengal. I travelled due north to the state of Himachal Pradesh, home to the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala, the historical colonial summer capital of Shimla and the adventure capital of India, Manali.

i also bid you all a fond farewell. This will be my last blog update. I have finally returned home after an adventurous 6 months and send this final blog from the UK.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DharamsalaDharamsala
Dharamsala

1st stop was Dharamsala. Only 14hours away from Delhi on an overnight bus with no air conditioning, on a rocky, narrow road. what could be more relaxing! On arrival, i was greeted by teams of buddhist monks lining the streets.
Dalai Lama TempleDalai Lama Temple
Dalai Lama Temple

This is the closest mere mortals get to his holyness. His residence is just behind his temple, pictured here.
VegetariansVegetarians
Vegetarians

These stickers were all over the town.
VIewVIew
VIew

This is the view from my bedroom window.
ManaliManali
Manali

Next stop Manali, a short 10hour overnight bus ride. Again great mountain views. Legs were still hurting from trekking so just a few hours walking around the countryside for me.
ShimlaShimla
Shimla

In colonial times, the British moved the capital to Shimla to get out of the heat. Since all the work moved too, this once quiet hill station became a sprawling metropolis.
Shimla 2Shimla 2
Shimla 2

The colonial influences are everywhere. Many of the older building are mock tutor. This is one of the bank head offices. it was a bit strange to see typical english buildings with hindi signs all over them.
7th day adventists7th day adventists
7th day adventists

These guys get everywhere!


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb