Off to Darjeeling for tea


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
April 21st 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

DarjeelingDarjeelingDarjeeling

After a 3 hour plane ride from delhi followed by a 4 hour 4x4 jeep ride up into the mountains, we arrived in DArjeeling. Richard waited ages for the train, there were only 2 trains per day.
I had had enough of the blistering heat of the desert and Delhi so where to go. Most locals go to the hill stations in the north at the foot of the Himalayan ranges. On the grape vine i heard that Darjeeling is nice and cool at this time of the year so off i went. i heard they have good tea too!
As some of you out there may have gathered, jill had to return to work and hasnt been with me in India. I managed to pursuade a friend to come out and join me for a tea drinking week in the hills.
The week was far removed from drinking tea all day. we took a 4 day trekking expedition up to the highest point in the region to get a great view of Mt Kangchendzonga (3rd highest peak in the world) and we could also see Mt Everest, how cool is that ! unfortunetely it required 4 days of hard work - thankfully not as bad as the inca trail!
Enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Darjeeling townDarjeeling town
Darjeeling town

This is the view from the hostel window. on a clear day the view is meant to be really nice (i'm told). The town itself is not quite the green lawns and colonial country houses set in tea plantations that i had hoped for
Trekking Adventure beginsTrekking Adventure begins
Trekking Adventure begins

Day 1 of the trek. Richard and I found out that the route is quite steep and we had to carry all our equipment for the next 4 days. The solution was to pay for a couple of porters to lighted the load. A bargain at £3 per day!
All Uphill from hereAll Uphill from here
All Uphill from here

As we started to walk uphill into the mist and the temperature started to fall, i was very gald i was not carrying my own bag.
The LocalsThe Locals
The Locals

On the way we met some of the locals
NepalNepal
Nepal

The route took us across the Nepalese boarder a number of times - Another coutry to add to the list.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

I know that there are too many pictures of sunsets on the blog already. i couldnt resist adding one more.
The PeakThe Peak
The Peak

After 3 days of hiking we reached the top. from the photo you can see that it was quite cold up there. just after the photo we had hail stones and the temp. dropped to -5 to -10 at night. a far cry from the 40 degrees of Delhi.
The VIewThe VIew
The VIew

The following morning we had a superb view of the HImalays!Wow!
DownhillDownhill
Downhill

NOw that the hard work was over and downhill all the way - smiles alround.
Time for TeaTime for Tea
Time for Tea

After an exhausting 4 days there was 1 last thing to do. Buy some tea. this wholesaler sells the tea leaves directly from the plantations all over Darjeeling. The 1st flush (ie 1st harvest)of 2006 is a good tea vintage apparently.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb