Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Dharamsala
Blogs from Dharamsala
Latest Blogs from Dharamsala
- January 17th 2014 Leaving Dharamsala
by Words: 1122 Photos: 10
- January 9th 2014 By The Way......
by Words: 1395 Photos: 8
- January 6th 2014 The time is finally here!
by Words: 1212 Photos: 9
- January 6th 2014 And our Himalayan Trek begins.....
by Words: 1692 Photos: 43
- January 6th 2014 Now you can read my blog - Angela Sutton
by Words: 157 Photos: 16
- November 15th 2013 This Week's Mystery: Reused Food Wrappers
by Words: 327 Photos: 2
- November 5th 2013 Indian TV (Hilarious)
by Words: 954 Photos: 2
- May 19th 2013 Back in the Himalayas
by Words: 1277 Photos: 0
- April 4th 2013 India with Krystal--The Bucket Shower
by Words: 398 Photos: 2
- March 18th 2013 India 8 - 'Into Thin Air'
by Words: 1647 Photos: 46
- July 20th 2012 Days 18-20
by Words: 746 Photos: 16
- June 27th 2012 Dharamsala
by Words: 94 Photos: 52
- March 29th 2012 Holy Cow! India!
by Words: 901 Photos: 22
- October 22nd 2011 McLeod Ganj
by Words: 158 Photos: 6
- October 21st 2011 Dharamsala 2
by Words: 249 Photos: 3
- October 20th 2011 Pelerins de l'Orient
by Words: 531 Photos: 1
- January 14th 2011 The journey begins....
by Words: 1961 Photos: 21
- November 15th 2010 Upper Bagsu / North India
by Words: 855 Photos: 0
- November 11th 2010 Into the north
by Words: 835 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2010 Day One: Post-Marital Blues...
by Words: 1102 Photos: 0