OMG the jeep!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Dharamsala
July 13th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The mountains!The mountains!The mountains!

1 of the first views of the mountains..
Well, after , quite possibly, the longest car/jeep journey i have ever experienced we finally managed to reach Dharamsala. It has to be quite possibly one of the most dangerous journies i have ever been given the priviledge of doing. We were originially told it would be 12 hours from srinigar to Dharamsala. Well it turned out to be more like 16 hours by the time the drivers had had all of their breaks. What with all the cows just randomly in the middle of the road and the manic horn blowing and over taking and driving along cliffs with sheer drops and the road surfaces where you hit your head off the top of the jeep because it was so bad we made it!!!

We did the journey with Imogen and Claire, which helped ease it alot.. despite the fact imogen found my shoulder a comfy spot half way through and i subsequetly ended up with a numb arse for the next few hours whenever she slept.. although it's my own fault as i did offer. We stopped a few times for food.. the first time was at around 2 where we managed to meet up again with Luge
KatieKatieKatie

Katie on one of our first breaks on day 1.. it got worse
, Regitse, Gauliter and Fredericke for some sort of rice..and spicy stuff.. not quite sure what it was really.. but it filled a hole. We finally arrived at our destination at 1am.. TIRED.. and a lil grumpy.. but not to bad 😊.

And we are at today.. we're getting some really heavy short bursts of rain, but the place itself is so different from the parts of india we have seen at the moment. It is far more tranquil and the beggers are far fewer by miles..although there are a few around we have got used to them already. I kinda like the facts there are monks + nuns everywhere. . we went to the museum, and it's abit of an eye opener to what happened in Tibet 50 years ago.. although i know, i know it's 1 persons side of the story. You can't but help feel remorse for them and what their culture has/is going through.

Katie is sat next to me at the moment.. so i'm kinda hoping i'll get some photo's put up today.. it's started pouring again now so i may be here for a while!!

We still have 1 more day left here, not totally sure what we are going to do yet.. problem search abit furter afield and see whats around.. i went for abit of a walk with imogen and claire earlier and we came across this secluded little temple and monastery which was really pretty.. i'm abit annoyed i didn't have my camera with me.

We are having one last meal tonight with everyone we met on the himalayan trek as a final fair well.. we may meet some more of them on the road as we go, potentially around christmas if our plans match up. We will be sad to move on as we got on well with them all.. but such is the way of the next year i guess!








Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mc HammerMc Hammer
Mc Hammer

Ballooooon pants!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb