Merry Christmas from Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
December 27th 2007
Published: December 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our digs in KollamOur digs in KollamOur digs in Kollam

It doesn't look bad for 4 pound fifty a night for a double room does it? Let's just say that it looks a lot better from the outside than it did on the inside......!
Since we last typed we've spent time in India's southern state of Kerala and India's 'beach state' of Goa. In Kerala we spent a couple of days in Kollam and did a trip around the narrow back waters which was jolly good fun indeed. Then we made our way up north via an 8 hour boat trip through the natural waterways and what not to the town of Allapuzah which was a jolly pleasant way to spend the day. Very hot (through the day and night) and slightly humid it was in Kerala.

From the town of Allapuzah we chartered our very own personal house boat for a couple of days as you do when in Kerala. Aside from our intrepid explorers Janineous and Steve, we were complemented with a staff of three - a chef (good at cooking he was), an engine man and of course a capitan! For two days and nights we floated around the natural waterworld of Kerala - down natural canals, rivers and across lakes - a fantastic way to kill a couple of days!

From Allapuzah we made our way north again up the Indian coast making use of rickshaws, trains, planes and automobiles to get us to Goa - India's smallest state. We're staying in the very south of the state (Palolem beach) well away from the busier north favoured by the package tourist crowds - oooo get us! Palolem is said to be Goa's most idyllic beach - we wouldn't know because we haven't moved away from it all the time we've been here as we're in beach holiday mode now i.e. eat loads a food, drink kingfisher, look at beach/sea, swim in sea.............This cycle we repeat each day - luvly. The authorities of Goa seemingly want to keep Palolem idyllic so there's not one hotel, apartment or holiday flat on the beach at all - the only buildings that have been allowed are beach huts in and amongst the palm trees that fringe the beach/cove. Effectively this has given the place over to backpackers (or at least folks who don't mind staying in semi permanent structures without solid walls and without much in the way of amenities!). As such it's not too busy here at all and we've loved every minute of it!

We push on eastwards tomorrow - after all we've got a wedding to get to! ;-)
Parked up for the nightParked up for the nightParked up for the night

Parked up in a nice spot ready for our Saturday night tea
Still in Asia but now it's south east asia for us - setting off to Sapa in northern Vietnam for new years by way of Mumbai, Bangkok and Hanoi - and so ends the Indian section of our trip. We've really enjoyed our time in India - so much to see and do and we haven't even seen the half of it on this visit!

We probably won't type again before new years so have a jolly good one everyone and cheerio for now from Janine and Steve :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Local 'Bus'Local 'Bus'
Local 'Bus'

The local 'bus' service in Kerala - everyone's off into town for that last minute bit of Christmas shopping!
Motorbike crossing the riverMotorbike crossing the river
Motorbike crossing the river

There's not many roads around here...... Chinese fishing net in the background.
Cow is king in IndiaCow is king in India
Cow is king in India

This cow was doing a spot of shopping - blocking our way into this shop - don't worry, we went in through the udder door...........
The man from Del Monte he say yesThe man from Del Monte he say yes
The man from Del Monte he say yes

Our wood/bamboo beach hut on Palolem beach gets a big thumbs up!
Christmas DinnerChristmas Dinner
Christmas Dinner

yum yum chicken curry down by the sea


27th December 2007

Happy New Year!!!
Have a good one and keep the pics coming!!! They all look FAB - Take care ! x
1st January 2008

Lovely India
Eh up, it looks like you are having a great time. What a lovely way to spend Chrimbo day. The pictures are fab. Have a great time. Happy Travels. Carts.x

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb