Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Palolem
Blogs from Palolem
Latest Blogs from Palolem
- March 31st 2013 Beach infatuation, Holi and Hampi
by Words: 1696 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2013 India: Mumbai to Madurai
by Words: 1219 Photos: 7
- February 21st 2013 Bewildered Backwater Boating and Palolem Party People
by Words: 2020 Photos: 45
- December 6th 2012 India deel 3: Varenasi & Goa
by Words: 781 Photos: 60
- August 23rd 2012 INDIA: Goa - Palolem
by Words: 152 Photos: 5
- May 21st 2012 Goa
by Words: 426 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2012 Another badge well earned.....
by Words: 902 Photos: 41
- March 24th 2012 GOA- "My name is Heaven and this is my place"
by Words: 573 Photos: 5
- March 5th 2012 L'Inde en vrac!
by Words: 915 Photos: 8
- March 5th 2012 Des Photos... encore de Palolem...
by Words: 15 Photos: 6
- March 1st 2012 Santa Banana ma Linda !
by Words: 662 Photos: 13
- February 28th 2012 Photo en provenance de Palolem
by Words: 28 Photos: 1
- February 23rd 2012 A spot of tea and a touch of breaking and entering...
by Words: 2000 Photos: 9
- February 5th 2012 Goa – The beginning of prolonged sweatiness
by Words: 678 Photos: 5
- January 5th 2012 Night Train to Goa!
by Words: 1157 Photos: 7
- January 1st 2012 Great times in Goa
by Words: 404 Photos: 6
- December 4th 2011 Yoga in Goa - If I'm a Yogi does that make Kate Boo-Boo?
by Words: 1092 Photos: 30
- December 2nd 2011 Bombay Mix
by Words: 887 Photos: 22
- November 30th 2011 Goa - at last!!
by Words: 1934 Photos: 38
- November 27th 2011 GOA
by Words: 951 Photos: 0