Sea, sand and sick!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
April 1st 2007
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

well well well, what a mad few days itsa been! its hard to recall where we left off. Think we had just arrived in arambol and we had told you a bit about it! Its tara by the way! Im quite annoyed at the moment because my stupid hotmail account isnt working and cant upload any phtotos on the travelblog! Its ok though because i am in India! So these past few days have been alot of fun! Our last day in arambol with steve was quite adventurous! We decided to head over to a nearby beach which meant going over what we thought was a small hill over a footpath! We got there safely and had what was probably the quickect swim known to man, It was very hard to swim in arambol! You did get pushed around a bit in the water and the bikinis that we wear are not very appropriate and quite flimsy! You end up having to do alot of checking! After a nice sunbathe where we got very hot and swaety we decided to make the journey over the hill which we though would take about 15 minutes. Our curiousity compelled alice and iu to take a different path to steve and we ended up getting lost on the hillside! We took numerous paths but couldn't seem to find our way back again! It was very hard work as well in the heat and we were in dresses and flip flops! In the pressure to get back in time before dark alice lost her fourth pair of sunglasses! And very expensive ones too! However, we also met some fellow 'lostees' who were also stranded and puzzled at the plethora of footpaths! These two women had luckily found Alice's sunglasses...... but then they lost them again in their struggle on the hillside! This incident has now made alice reconsider her thoughts on fate and she has resinged to the fact that she shouldn't wear sunglasses in india anymore! Stressed, scratched and snake-scared we headed back to the beach thinking we could perhaps head the road way back yet after finding out it was 10 km we decided to give it a miss! However, our luck was in when the restaurant owner on the beach gave us a guide to get to a certain point. After the guide had left us we still managed to go on a wrong path until we finally met another man who led us the right way. Desperate to cool down we tried to go for a swim in the sea but again got bashed around by the frisky waves. So we met up with steve who was relaxing reading his book an hour and a half later, scratched, bruised and sunglasses-less! What a day! That night we said our goodbye's to steve. Steve has now headed to Delhi where he is meeting one of his friends. However we are meeting him again for the big chill on the 14th April.

After leaving steve we then headed down to a place called calangute. This really reminded us of a spanish resort. Lots of package hotels with package tourists are here and lots of English people too. A very strange incident happened to us when we arrived. We wanted to know which was the best beach so decided to approach these tourists who looked like they spoke enlgish.

hello alice here! and i just accidentally turned off this computer and so have to start my whole story again argh!

So, yes Tara, we did indeed meet some folk from back 'ome. We approached them on arrival in Calangute, looking as if we'd been running through the jungle backwards, and as we chatted away I pointed out that they sounded as if they were from Lancashire. So they said yes and mentioned Manchester, we mentioned Blackburn, they mentioned Accrington, we mentioned Clayton and Great Harwood ('well someone has to live there,' one man said- the cheek!). Anyhoot, I was jumping-up-and-down-excited about the fact that we had met people from where we were raised all away across the world! But we got used to it after being in Calangute after two days, as it seems every second person is from 'up north'! They must all use the same Thompsons or something...
So after that we checked into a jolly place, well it had a fan and shower, and then decided to check out the town. As tara said it was pretty much package holiday-heaven but we met friendly funny waitors and I met a lovely man who owened a bookshop. He was quite philosophical and was telling me about he's preached in temples all over southern india and travelled on nothing as he got free food hehe. As he says 'you can live a million lifetimes with no money' and i was so in awe of his lovely person that i even ended up buying 'facets of hinduism' off him for Rs 50!
That night we met up with my friend Heather from home who is living in Calangute and went out with heather and her friends. it was a bit of a change for me and Tara, as we ended up staying out until 7am which gived the body quite a shock when you're so used to them closing at 11.30! It was a really fun night and we danced like there was no tomorrow, which there wasn't really as we slept until 4pm! we both felt a tad rough the next day, and tara was even sick in the middle of a resturant eww!
OK so it's 23rd April nowe and that was aaaaaages ago, sorry for the delay but read the next blog and I'll try to round up what you've missed!



Advertisement



15th May 2007

sick in the restaurant? that's disgusting... it's drunkards like tara that give us english people a bad name ;)

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb