Agonda In Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Agonda
April 8th 2010
Published: April 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After leaving the serenity of Om Beach, we began our adventure northwards into Goa proper. We left our beloved Ganesh cafe, and headed off to the Gokarna train station which kind of looked like it had been abandoned, due to lack of interest. We did however find an interesting local soft drink, marketed under the unlikely name of Jeera Masala Cola. Intrigued, we purchased a bottle. Initial reactions were as to be expected, not great, with each of us grimacing, and then gagging when we had a taste. As the name suggests, the drink tastes a lot like a stock made of curry spices, flat diet pepsi and water. We agreed that the Coca-Cola corporation was safe for now, and boarded our train.

One hour later, and we had arrived in Agonda. Avoiding a fight that broke out between 2 rival tuk-tuk drivers over our business, we headed off to our hotel, Derseys.

Agonda beach is a very wide, clear beach, fringed by tall coconut palms, and offered a walm balmy sea.
The town itself was quite small, and mainly seemed to consist of old dilapidated Portuguese houses, and small tree huts.

We did find a local barber who offered Guy and GP, the finest shave that they have ever had. The shave, was followed by a very thorough Indian head massage, that left both the boys wide eyed and grinning.

Relaxed and clean shaven, we ventured off to the largest nearby beach, Palolem, in search of a party. Unlike Agonda, Palolem is lined by a multitude of restaurants and night clubs, and was buzzing with people on package tours.

We sampled some of the local moonshine, Fenny, which is brewed from either cashews or coconut. If you've ever had Mampoer, or Grappa, then you will know what kind of territory we were in. Very powerful stuff.

A few more fennies later, we were feeling a lot more mellow, and it was very late, so we decided to walk down the beach to return home. We ran into a group of fisherman, who were pulling in their nets with their latest haul. Two sets of fisherman sit at either end of the beach, and through a slow, and very labourious process haul the nets in. We all helped pull the nets in, and after 1 hour and a half, we saw what we had pulled in. For the amount of time, effort and number of men, the catch seemed to us to be quiet small - only around a square metre of fish, mostly some kind of sardine - although the fisherman said that is was quite a good haul for the time of year. The experience was quite sobering (both literally and figuratively) as we considered how much effort it took to catch, which was to us, not that many fish. We all agreed to pay full price for fish in future.

By this stage, we were all exhausted, and returned home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



30th April 2010

Salutations!
Hi there Guy and Liffie, What you up to today? I have decided to give up alcohol and tobacco and intend to implement this around the year 2050. What do you think? If you consider this to be too sudden please remember that I have always been an impulsive type of guy. However I will consider your concerns at this abrupt state of affairs. Hope this finds you all well. email us sometime. Love the Weiss's.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0979s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb