Comparing America and India via HDI


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Assam » Kaziranga
March 6th 2014
Published: March 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

America would be a developed country and India would be a developing country. India is ranked 136 out of 196 countries (number of independent countries today varies from source and is arguable). So India is pretty low on the list whilst America is ranked at 3. The main things that are holding India back are education, income, and gender inequality. The average year of schooling for a person in India is 4.4 years while the average years of schooling in America is 13.3 years. The low average years of schooling is often due to the fact that children often have to start working at a young age to help the family and due to the fact most girls don't go to school at all. The average income for someone in India is $3,285 and the average income for someone in America is $43,480. From this we can also infer that the economy is poor because they don't have a lot of money coming in or a large work force. Gender inequality also affects India's HDI value greatly because India is a patriarchy and women don't have as many rights. Their inequality score is pretty high at a 0.61 and the one in America is only at a 0.26.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb