The ex-biggest Chinatown in the world


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
May 17th 2006
Published: May 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nothing to update from Africa, so I've put on the photos from my previous trip to Hong Kong just to keep my blog active.....I've always compared Sinagpore and Hong Kong, and I'll always prefer the latter, which is more 'human' to me. Both are commercialised, expensive and crowded but Singapore is too systematic, too clean and too 'English'.

Perhaps our generation has grown up under the influence of HK music, movies, drama series, food, game (like Millionaire) etc, that's why we always felt that HK is closer to us as compared to our neighbour Singapore.

Visiting HK was like visiting a place I have known for a long time and didnt feel homesick at all. (A bit like coming home though)The food is just like our local food (but more expensive), and the markets and local restaurants were just marvelous! Have tried the infamous stinky Taufu, and found out that it was just not as terrible as we thought (try durian), and the street food like fish ball, as well as BBQ pork and goose also worht a try.

The metro system is cool and local people are not as unfriendly as we thought....Mongkok is a place where
One nite in Mongkok....One nite in Mongkok....One nite in Mongkok....

It's my favourite station coz it led me to my favourite streets
I can spent a few days there and would never be bored, and Tai Yu San is also quite a nice place to spent a day or two. Boulevard of stars and Victoria Peak also my favourite place eventhough they are some typical tourist spots but that's the way we can capture the brilliant night view of HK.

My favourite experience was walking all the way from Tin Sing Ma Tau back to Mongkok at night and really enjoyed the city full of billboards competing in their sizes (size does matter in this case). Miu Kai, the place I once thought is dirty and chaos turned out to be one of my favourite place there. We have tried to visit the local Karaoke (but it was fully booked) and the cinema (it was way too crowded) so ended up in having the most expensive Kui Ling Kou i've ever known in my life. (and the taste is so so)






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

KaraokeKaraoke
Karaoke

Why we never have this kind of poster for our karaoke in Malaysia?
KaraokeKaraoke
Karaoke

Karaoke in Hong Kong just look mesmerizing.....
Wong Tai  XinWong Tai  Xin
Wong Tai Xin

Even early in the morning the temple already crowded with locals and tourists
Entrance to Wong Tai  XinEntrance to Wong Tai  Xin
Entrance to Wong Tai Xin

We heard people speaking Mandarin everywhere coz most of these visitors are from Mainland China.....
The Chocolate Temple The Chocolate Temple
The Chocolate Temple

My favourite temple located at Diamond Hill. The whole building is in dark chocolate colour.
Before the sun setBefore the sun set
Before the sun set

It's nice place to see from the top of the peak, but not a nice place to stay.....
After the sun setAfter the sun set
After the sun set

Yes we have the Oriental Pearl.....


20th May 2006

Lovely Pictures
I come to this blog to see how foreigners see Hong Kong as I have been living here since I was born. It's interesting to read your blog. I also like Hong Kong more than Singapore. I think Hong Kong is much more advanced. :P

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb