My Day with Buddah


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
December 30th 2004
Published: December 30th 2004
Edit Blog Post

The steps to the BuddahThe steps to the BuddahThe steps to the Buddah

This is from the base before climbing all those stairs
Today I went to vist the Buddah on Lantau Island. A simple boat ride and a bus ride around the island got me to the Po Lin Monastery. The first thing to see is the Giant Bronze Buddah. It is 23 meters tall and sits atop a hill. After paying $8.50 US and climbing 256 steps I was at the foot of the Buddah. The views from up here were pretty nice but it was a hazy day so photos were no good. After a good look around I went down to the Monastery to see what was cooking (literally, the ticket included a vegetarian lunch). There were lots of offerings of food and incense and a temple where the held a ceremony after I ate. Before getting back on the bus I walked up the 256 steps again, just for fun. I caught a quick nap on the boat home and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around Hong Kong.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Me hanging with the Big BMe hanging with the Big B
Me hanging with the Big B

It was cold and windy at the top.
Giving an OfferingGiving an Offering
Giving an Offering

There were statues all around the Buddah making offering gestures, I liked this one becuase I could capture the little pagoda on the hill behind it.
Incense potIncense pot
Incense pot

There pots like this filled with incense all over the monastery grounds. They even had 15' long racks for the bigger sticks, some of which were 3.5' tall and as thick as a beer bottle.
CeremonyCeremony
Ceremony

Not sure what was being celebrated but there was lots of chanting, brightly colored flags and lots of offerings being made, following a long processional from the temple to the foot of the stairs.
Colorful flags Colorful flags
Colorful flags

Found these on one wall of the temple, the picture would have been better if the sun had been out.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb