Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 5th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Hong Kong, Louise and Amy here. We're sorry we haven't updated in a while, have been in transit.

We stayed in Yangshuo for about 9 or so days, due to cheapiness, which turned out to be a bit too long. The weather - which we're sure you've all heard about - was rubbish. We didn't see any of the massive snow storms, but we got ALL the rain, and the blackouts. These weren't terrible - chinese food keeps going without electricity, thank goodness. Because of the bad weather, all the attractions of Yangshuo - caving, swimming, trekking, river cruises etc. were all either closed or unappealing, so we pretty much spent the whole time eating. To increase our culinary experience we took a cooking class in a local restaurant, we'll make you all beerfish and dumplings when we get back. Part of it involved showing us around the local food market, where we saw dogs waiting for slaughter, and chickens mid way through - nice.

We took a 14 hour bus journey to the Hong Kong border, where we were left at the side of a nameless motorway. 7 hours later we arrived at our destination, Hong Kong, where we are now. We've ditched our thermals and fleeces and have so far watched the light show (a daily synchronized flickering of skyscraper lights across Hong Kong) from Victoria Peak, visited relatives, travelled on the world's longest escalator, rode the Star Ferry and pottered about the maze of shopping centres and markets. We've added bird spit and pig's trotters to our diets, and had the best sushi this side of Tokyo. Our wallets are feeling the strain though, but we'll have one more blowout tomorrow night, it being Chinese New Year and Ladies Night on Hong Kong island.

We head to Thailand on Thursday, so we'll update you on the last of Hong Kong then. Keep in touch, lots of love from Amy and Louise x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb