Honkers Away!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 12th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Big unBig unBig un

On Lantau.
Visiting Hong Kong after living in Shanghai was like a breath of fresh air - literally. Those currently based in HK are rightly concerned about the growing pollution - but it's nothing compared to the smog that usually surrounds Shanghai. Maybe I was just very lucky during my stay 6 day stay but other research seems to back me up. The weather was glorious and it was easy to forget that Xmas Day was just a week away what with sunny days in the 20s and short and t-shirts still in use.

Arriving at the airport, I purchased an 'Octopus' card which includes the fast train journey to Central and 3 days of metro use. It also included boat trips on the Star Ferry to Kowloon and the catamaran to Lantau Island. I was amazed to learn you can also use the card for vending machines and MacDonald’s! I highly recommend buying one. I stayed at the International House Harbour Road and had booked a harbour view room. I actually got one too - in prime location and would recommend the hotel.

I always imagined HK to be a bit mad, perhaps I was just more relaxed being on
Harbour ViewHarbour ViewHarbour View

Seems pretty clear to me.
holiday in the sun, either way it turned out to be a bustling but not over the top atmosphere. Amazingly easy to get around if you're staying on the Island itself. I don't know how it has changed since us Brits handed back the colony, but it remains very popular still with expats who have made it their long-term home. For homesick travellers there's even a Marks and Spencer’s - i'm not a whinging expat but it is nice to be able to buy familiar products once in while.

The buildings around Central are quite spectacular - sleek buildings, glittering in the sun. From here you can catch the Victorian Star Ferry across to Kowloon. I went for the ride and came straight back. Great views of the harbour. From another pier I caught the catamaran to Lantau Island. The island hosts the world's largest Buddha. A bumpy 30 minute bus ride takes you into the hills and towards the mammoth statue. There's not much else to do there but seeing the Buddha was quite amazing and well worth the trip.

Another must do venture is the funicular railway that crawls up the steep path to the Peak.
Star FerryStar FerryStar Ferry

You lookin' at me?
Built over a hundred years ago by two Europeans who were considered a bit mental for doing it, there has never been a single accident. Good to know. The ascent is remarkable for the view it offers at the top. Hazy, but still impressive is the skyline view. There is a multitude of shops and cafes etc but the majority were there to get snapping away. Myself included. The descent was equally enjoyable.

The Mid-levels area has seen some new developments with the growth of Soho. To get there you can be transported on the world's longest outdoor escalator. I'm not sure about this claim as it is really a series of escalators that you can hop off at regular intervals and go browse the 'antique' shops and cafes of Soho. It is a great way to explore the area though.

HK does have the reputation of being ultra expensive. If you are renting accommodation then that is true. However, I found it very affordable (the UK is still much more expensive) with lots of good restaurants and bars. Shopping for clothes was also reasonable.

There are lots of things I didn't do in HK. I did
Star FerryStar FerryStar Ferry

No Mersey.
visit Stanley though for a pint on the beach. Generally, I was quite happy milling around in the sunshine, enjoying the calm before returning to the much more in your face Shanghai. In short, I have a lot of time for Hong Kong. If you're in the area - give it a go.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

ScraperScraper
Scraper

...of the sky.
scraperscraper
scraper

...and in the sun.
Holy CowHoly Cow
Holy Cow

Another one.
Holy Cow!Holy Cow!
Holy Cow!

Worth 2 pics.
Big unBig un
Big un

On Lantau.
OfferingOffering
Offering

Lonely Planet or Rough Guide editors - my pic is available for your front covers...
To the PeakTo the Peak
To the Peak

On the way up.
At the topAt the top
At the top

Peak-a-view (!)
At the top.At the top.
At the top.

And again.
Going up.Going up.
Going up.

Escalate me.
In SohoIn Soho
In Soho

Pound 'o cod mate.
In SohoIn Soho
In Soho

Pretty mellow.
ScraperScraper
Scraper

Transformers! Scrapers in disguise...Worst caption EVER.
Mid LevelsMid Levels
Mid Levels

High rise.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb