Ski Slovakistan!


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia
February 11th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jester minuteJester minuteJester minute

When I used to work as a novelty hat.
A very positive aspect of living in Slovakia was the ease of getting to ski resorts. Well, you still have to get a train. In Slovakia the public transport is very good - reasonably priced tickets and very efficient in terms of punctuality. You do have to know where you're going though as information for tourists travelling within the country is still badly lacking. However, 3 or 4 hours from 'Bratislavia' is all it takes. During my time there, I visited two ski resorts - Donovaly and Jasna. As a relative beginner to the sport, the slopes of Donovaly were sufficient for me. A fairly small resort with possiby the slowest self-service cafeteria in the world, my friends who were advanced skiers were not challenged by the handful of slopes at Donovaly. Our accommodation was provided by 'Pattyski'. A new complex of roughly shoe boxed size apartments that were fairly comfortable. Probably ideal for 2 adults and 1 child, anymore and things are considerable cramped. The Hungarian owners also run a ski school and generally seemed too busy to deal with all their customers.

Jasna is described as the best ski resort in Slovakia....probably by the people who own 'the best ski resort in Slovakia'. As I didn't visit all the ski resorts in Slovakia then I can't really make this judgement myself. We stayed in the Hotel Grand. Very close to the slopes and quite grand as illustrated in this comment on the hotel website describing the restaurant: 'It is non-smoking (smoking in lobby bar) with lots of plants'. Enough said. The hotel was very comfortable, good sized rooms, sauna and massage services and the buffet meals were good. As for the skiing. There is only one 'egg' lift on the side of the mountain we were on and queues were pretty horrendous - taking 40 mins or more to get in. However, the most infuriating apsect was that people - namely snowboarders - would push in from the sides. No regulation at all. At one point it got pretty scary with a crush of bodies trying to get in at the same time. I would say it was dangerous. Ah, we Brits, we know how to queue. It's true though! The slopes were great for me and seemed to offer some more advanced trails too. It seemed though that the slopes were full of very bad skiers going very fast.

If you're in Slovakia in ski season then I'd recommend trying a few resorts here. If you are in other parts of Europe and planning to go to Slovakia solely for skiing then I'd think again. Yes it is cheaper than other countries just don't expect the same facilities.


Advertisement



16th February 2007

At your service
Once again, the "Mighty Joe" 90 gives us the goose. If you see what I mean... Er.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb