It was a grand plan


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sha Tin
May 18th 2009
Published: May 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Now THAT'S a beer!Now THAT'S a beer!Now THAT'S a beer!

2-fisting it with one glass is my idea of a good drink.
This weekend there was a plan. It was a grand plan, one of new heights, new lows, conquests, and tragedy. Sadly, only the last bit came true.

The plan was that Samantha and I would take the metro to Hong Kong, then take their metro, then 2 buses, then hike for 2 hours over cliffs overlooking the ocean, and finally land on a beach and camp. We would frolick in the waves, rest in the sand, eat bad, over-priced , un-pineappled, un-chickened Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice, and collapse. We'd fall asleep to the gentle sound of the ocean surf.

Yes, I was planning to camp in a tent. Yes, me.

We checked the weather, which as usual predicted a slight chance of rain. And as usual I didn't believe it. So what if it was overcast--every day this week had been. We decided to head out anyway.

We took the metro and climbed on to our first bus. It was a beautiful ride, the ocean on our left, lush green trees on our right.
Suddenly, there appeared a pitter-patter,
but not quite a splitter-spatter,
on my bus window
(my apologies to Poe).

We got off at the end of the line, snuggled under our umbrella, carrying our tent, packs, and lunches. We sat in a town square, eating and watching. More umbrellas, more people running, more rain. This did not bode well.

Samantha really wanted Doritos and proposed we loko for those and poke around a bit. If the rain lets up, on to bus #2. If it doesn't, save money and head back. We can try again another weekend.

No Doritos were found. But we did run across a bar she had seen last time she had hiked and camped, called Duke of York. It looked cozy, pub-like, and most importantly, it was as Samantha remembered: serving happy hour from noon until late. It was 1:30pm, raining, and we were standing next to decent beer and good prices.

We were allowd to sample a bit before we bought since we'd not tried the kinds they had on tap, save for Guinness and another that I don't get excited about. Samantha opted for the half-pint. I, not seeing the glass beforehand, opted for the full-pint. My full-pint needed 2 hands to hoist and was marvelous.

We giggled our way though silly stories,
HmmmHmmmHmmm

Note how Samantha's half-pint could easily swim happily inside my pint.
the locals and their kids, the relaxed atmosphere. When we were done the rain had let up, but we weren't optimistic. It was still overcast, so I wouldn't get good pictures. The ocean would be choppy, not suitable for swimming. We ran the risk of being wet and cold.

Of course, upon arrival in the city, the skies cleared and were bright blue and cloudless. Perhaps that's a good omen for next weekend. Next weekend, when we plan to return to Duke's for happy hour.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Really!?Really!?
Really!?

I know it's Cantonese, but in a country where they speak English, you'd think they'd be a bit more mindful.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb