Day 37 Hong Kong, Lamma Island and Kowloon.


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lamma Island
November 29th 2014
Published: November 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone



Yesterday we went to Lamma Island, which is the third largest island in HK, west of HK Island. The island is a traditional fishing village; it is a laid back and multicultural community that has no cars! It was great to escape HK’s hectic city for some green trails with little sandy beaches dotted along the way. It reminded us of the Caribbean.



We left about 9ish, we headed to central metro from our hostel, where we caught a £2 ferry for 30 minutes to Yung Shue Wan, Lamma Island. The trek was about 90 minutes to Sok Kwu Wan ferry terminal. On the way we passed two sandy beaches, a few market stores, a lot of sea life being sold, many pavilions and lovely views out to sea.



Definitely one of the must see sights in HK area! We caught the ferry back from Sok Kwu Wan to central, arriving at our hostel about 2.30pm.



We then booked up a few hostels in Thailand, including Phi- Phi, Koh Phanghan, and Koh Tao. We have the first two weeks of hostels booked up now. We have planned a little route through, and as it’s peak season we thought it’s best to get places we want to stay in booked up now before they go! We have a few at £2/night J



In the evening we caught the metro over to Kowloon. We had a map from the hostel with the top 8 sights marked out. We set out to hit most of them, we walked through avenue of the stars, past the clock tower and cultural area, along Nathan road and up towards the Temple street night market. The weather is humid with a little rain in the air-it feels very hot. We didn’t buy anything, and it was packed with people from start to finish. We ate dinner at this little restaurant that is similar to the side street eateries across the rest of China, apart from the prices. HK food is so expensive! This restaurant experience was not enjoyable in the least. I can’t remember the name but I wouldn’t recommend; we were asked to move tables once we were settled to a cramped middle section; the food was tasteless, we were then asked to squeeze all our plates up so we could fit two other people on. It was so cramped that as I poured my beer into my glass the waitress nudged my elbow with her bum and made me pour most of it over the table grrrrrr- she didn’t even apologise or get a cloth to help me wipe it up. Anyway, we paid and left for the hostel back on HK island, we got back and I got some food from the supermarket opposite, they were selling all their pastries cheap, so we bought breakfast for tomorrow too.



Good night





Love V&N


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb