Day 38 Hong Kong, Dragon back trail, Wan Chai


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
November 30th 2014
Published: December 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello People,



So today we had planned to go to Macau, however with our budget it was too expensive, also we were told it was only worth seeing at night with all the casinos and night life so we decided to have a rest day....that was until the lads in our dorm suggested we go with them on the dragon back hike (voted Asia's number 1 hike).



We looked it up and it was a 9km hike up 4 peaks, the highest being shy of 300 metres. We had to get the metro to Shau Kei Wan then change to bus 9 to Shek O, rd 1 stop. We thought it would be a nightmare but it was so easy to get there, the public transport here is second to none really!!! So first irritation was the bus was only $30 and the driver said put it in the box so i put in $40 and he said no change (dick). So the weather decided not to be friendly with us, it was misty as hell and could not see more than 10 metres out to sea 😞 not the best hiking weather for views!!!



The lads we were with are called Cameron from Aberdeen, Dale from London, and Graham from Aberdeen, also a swiss guy came along called David (he did his own thing, really nice guy though). It was ridiculously humid so everyone was sweating profusely!! Graham who works in China didn't know we were going on a hike and had skinny jeans and a denim shirt so its easy to guess he was soaked lol!! It was very off path walking with large broken stones and minimal steps, but we kept a brisk pace and stormed up the first peak. It was as I said misty and we could not see a thing 😞 all of us were gutted but the walk was interesting plus we all chatted loads while walking. It continued like this with us not seeing anything apart from a picture on a display of the view haha!!



So eventually we worked our way down the path on to the Hong Kong trail which lead to Shi big beach, on the way we found a deadly spider in its web called a golden orb spider (pictures don't do it justice), we kept our eyes well open after that (Vick more than everyone else, she hates them). So we finally reached the beach and it was well worth it!!!



It was a surfer's beach and such an amazing hidden gem, its only 30 mins away from the crazy modern hub of Hong Kong city. The lads brought some shorts so they could swim, i did the european thing and swam in my lycra pants (apologies to all). The water was amazing and it was so good to swim in the China Sea for the first time.



The guys had booked tickets to see Tenacious D in town so we headed back, we were lucky and found a cheap mini bus to drop us back in to the metro station, we got back to the hostel and left them in the room to wash while we had a look around the shops. As normal it was depressing window shopping but it always puts a smile on Vicks face!!! We headed back and the lads had gone so we had a lie down for 30 mins before washing and heading out ourselves.



We headed to Wan Chai, we were told they had a lot of sports bars to watch the Saints vs Man City game and get some food. First thing we found it was prostitute central, with all these fat bald english guys all over the girls. Vick was not impressed and neither was I!!! The bars all were expensive and noisy!! (God we are getting old) We went to a supermarket and got Vick a nice chicken salad and carrot cake, then I lost my appetite so headed to a bar called Old China Hand to watch the football.



Im not going to mention the football (screw you City), we had organised to meet the lads here as well and they turned up around 2200. First though a Chinese hooker started trying to talk to me then she came to our table and sat on Vick crying, then a fight kicked off outside but was stopped quickly (never saw anything which was good). The lads were steaming drunk and started karaoking which was funny, Graham was really good surprisingly (it was his Filipino blood).



Thanks to the budget Vick and I headed off around 2330, we walked back which was nice and as both shattered went straight to sleep.



Thats everything!!! Love N&V X


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb