Lijiang, China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Lijiang
June 22nd 2009
Published: August 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The old town section of Lijiang is off limits to cars and motorbikes. The cobblestone streets are crowded with Chinese tourists, little shops and restaurants. It is similar in this way to Dali, but larger and, I would say, even more beautiul. Despite the number of people that flock here, it's a really charming place. It is impossible to keep from getting lost here because the streets are run in any and every direction many times turning in to a maze of alleys. There are beautiful canals carrying water throughout the town and old arch bridges to cross them. It looks like a movie set in its perfection; every night each shopkeeper reinstalls a series of identical carved wooden panels to cover the storefront.


The town has been around since about 1200 AD and is home to the Naxi minority group. I was able to see a performance by the world renowned Naxi Orchestra. It was a fantastic mix of a 25-30 piece ensemble and solo performances. There was a young woman on stage who played a traditional instrument that was like a horizontal harp. She looked sad during the entire performance. Near the end she played a solo piece that may be the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard. I was transported watching her sad face float above her precise hands and singing instrument.


Lijiang was also a major trading post on the Tea Horse Trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb