Day 11 Drive to Rongphu Monastery & EBC


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Friendship Highway
April 21st 2015
Published: April 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

The things we do for adventure! We had a 5am wakeup for a 6.40 start in order to get to Everest Base Camp (EBC) as soon as possible before the normal afternoon clouds rolled in. At the 1st of many police checks the weather forecast was listed as minus 6c & plus 12c, regardless everyone was excited. The trip of 120 km was slow with normal highway speed for the 1st half but the last 60 kms very slow winding 1 lane cobbled side road up to the top of the 5200 mtr Pang La Pass with an amazing sweeping view of the Himalaya Mountains.

The weather continued to be fine & we were blessed with a perfectly clear day with views of Everest and many of the lesser known peaks of the Himalaya’s. Along the way the snow capped lower hills provided an amazing array of different shapes & sizes from jagged peaks, flat table like hills, an iceberg of solid ice & anything else you can imagine.

Our overnight stop was at a basic small lodge attached to the Rongphu Monastery only 4 kms from EBC at 5000 mtrs (the only choice on the mountain). The Monastery still has a small number of monks in attendance. The location of the lodge could not be better with a view directly at Everest & was as clear as a bell all afternoon. It was walm in the sun away from a slight breeze but will be freezing overnight. The sunset was spectacular.

Sleeping will be hard at this altitude but extra down jackets supplied for added warmth were welcome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb