Emai Shan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Emei Shan
March 23rd 2007
Published: March 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

One of the 4 sacred mountains of China. Typically they are a chain of summits, very high, with gloruis view and temples are spread over and piligrims come to pray.
Eami shan (shan = mountain) is almost 3100m high. It is cloudy both in off/on seasons and it is probably impossibple to see a good sunrise anytime - but the pictures in the brosures are mashu mashu.
In our case the off season disadvantage is the low temprature at night - we're talking minus.
Again, from chengdu we took a 2 hours bus to the village below the mountain.
The mountain "mitromem" form 500m hight to 3500m - so this should be a very hard klimbing.
To avoid that, we took a bus that takes you directely to the summit - well 2 hours from it - you can walk it or take a 7 minutes cable car.
We spent the night near the cable car base station (2500m altitude) in one of the empty hotels there. All of the hotels has the same facilities and the same signes - you can not see the difference. especially if you do not read chines.
At 6 am we woke up and took the cable car to the top to catch the sun rise. At 10 oclock we atarted wakling down. We walked about 25 km down hill on stairs path - sometimes covered with snow.
Some poor chines youth were climbing the opposite way - not knowing what is waiting for them -or stupid enough to ignore it.
Some of the them, although the warrning, took some snacks and food in plastic bag which will be stolen later by monkeys ambushing on the way. We saw it happens! The path was nice and the feeling was fogy and misterius. We passed a few temples, resting pavilion and kisoks were we ate. As prepration to the next seaon, the path was actually re-built under our legs - poor donkys were carring melet and rockes for the the new stairs.
It took us 6 hours to reach to another cable car which saved us another 15 km.
we arived back to Sim's cozy guest house in Chengdu around 10pm - were we changed our experiances with the guesthouse staff that went there as their "tiyul hevra" a week before and all suffered from muscels aches.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The never ending way downThe never ending way down
The never ending way down

Please just make it stop!
Poor donkyes on their way upPoor donkyes on their way up
Poor donkyes on their way up

At least we are going down


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb