A Late Friday Night


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
August 22nd 2015
Published: August 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Earth Nucleus 'Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva'Earth Nucleus 'Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva'Earth Nucleus 'Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva'

This is a detail from one of the paintings I have been working on. Kshitigarbha is one of the four most important Buddhist figures in China and there is a mountain dedicated to him in Central China.
I am a little dozy today. We stayed up talking until 3:00 last night. Overall it was a bit of a lazy day yesterday with some good work getting done despite the growing humidity outside. Lunch was at my favourite Tibetan restaurant. My best friend of 40 years showed up and joined us. He normally lives between India and Chengdu spending some months each year in both places. Unfortunately another good friend had to leave yesterday for Taipei as his son is entering kindergarten for the first time next week.

After lunch I paid a visit to the the local bookstore to see if there was anything interesting. Of course there was! I didn't buy anything. My bag is probably over weight already for the flight back to New York.

Dinner last night ended up being a poor choice, not to be repeated. We went to a Tibetan restaurant in the neighborhood that is also a dinner theater. The service was bad and the food barely edible. After dinner, conversation went long into the night as well as spent looking at various images of paintings by known Tibetan artists covering the past 400 years. There were some new images, great images, that I had never seen before.

Today will be dedicated to wrapping up the current phase of the project, the reason I am in Chengdu, and writing up a report. Tomorrow will be busy as I will be spending the afternoon with a collector that has one of the largest collections in China. More later.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb