Pingyao


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Pingyao
October 1st 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Warm mooncakeWarm mooncakeWarm mooncake

Quite tasty!
From Beijing, we carried along on our travels via Pingyao. We had seen on a Chinese travel programme how lovely this place was. With waterways used instead of roads, traditional houses and it reminded us of how Venice must be like (Hey we've not been there!). So we thought we'd go,as it looked so unique. So we booked our 6 hour bus journey and off we went.

HOWEVER, when we arrived there were no waterways, infact there weren't any rivers or streams in sight! On arrival we jumped into a motor rickshaw type of vehicle and were faced with a high walled city, ancient narrow pedestrain streets, and masses of Chinese tourists. A truely special and amazing place, but we were a little confused! The traditional chinese accomodation was unique and spaceous. See the photos. We had a good time there and is quite a memorable one.

From Pingyao we went to Xi'an, the city where the Terracotta Warriors were situated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bell towerBell tower
Bell tower

Look at the crowds!
The hostel we wanted to stay in.The hostel we wanted to stay in.
The hostel we wanted to stay in.

Fully booked, and i'm not desperate enough to stay in a dorm! Our chinese hotel was just the same anyway! We visited the hostel for the internet, breakfast and booked coach tickets.
View from our roomView from our room
View from our room

Traditional chinese courtyard.
The streets.The streets.
The streets.

Took this on arrival,the chinese tourists must've gone home! Can't believe the streets look so empty!
In the evening, the streets lit up.In the evening, the streets lit up.
In the evening, the streets lit up.

Having no street lights, produced a lovely atmosphere.
Street seller.Street seller.
Street seller.

What is going on here?
Antique shopAntique shop
Antique shop

Not sure whether it is all genuine, bit like a junk shop really!


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb