Happy Birthday To ME!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
October 26th 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Shanghai BuddiesShanghai BuddiesShanghai Buddies

My friend Riley and I in his kitchen with the Doraemon cake!
Well I'm 25 now. My birthday was yesterday but after a night of partying we slept most of the day away and went for a nice dinner at T.G.I. Friday's. Yum.

Devlin arranged with our friend Riley (who lives in Shanghai, we've been visiting him almost everyday) to pick up a cake and surprise me with it. He had them put a Doraemon on the cake, my favorite cartoon character from Japan. He's a blue cat like robot...Trust the Japanese to come up with something like a cat like robot, with no ears because he had them eaten off by a robotic rat...

They made the head out of a big ball of icing, I was very impressed, I think it's the best cake I've ever had. Riley took us to an awesome Teppenyaki place for dinner. For 150RMB per person it's all you can eat and drink (beer and sake included!). You pick the various meats and veggies and seafood from the menu and the cook grills it all up in front of you on a large griddle that you sit around. I've never eaten such delicious food. My favorite dish was the garlic beef rolls. Thin slices of meat were lightly cooked and then wrapped around bean sprouts cooked in a sauce and some garlic. SO DELICIOUS! I think we ordered 4 orders of this. They ate a ton of seafood, I don't like seafood so I stuck to chicken and beef and veggies. Another good one was bacon wrapped asparagus. Yum!

That night we went to the nightclub down the street from Riley's apartment, it was all you can drink night so for 50RMB cover charge (for girls, guys were 82RMB) you can have all the drinks you want. Plain pop and water cost money though. We had a good night, the club was fancy and a good dj was playing.

Riley's apartment in Shanghai is neat. He lives on the rooftop of a building, essentially the 6th floor. You take an elevator to the 5th floor and walk down the hall where his door is. Inside the door is a set of stairs which lead to the roof and when on the roof there is his little place! It's nice because he has the whole roof to himself, so outside he's laid some astro turf and set up a little patio set and
Off With His Head...Off With His Head...Off With His Head...

So I can eat it! Mmmm, icing cat head...
bbq and tiki torches. The weather is still quite nice here so we've spent many nights sitting outside relaxing, enjoying the Shanghai skyline. He has two cats also, a black and white one named Tiger and a cute orange kitten named Judy. They make me miss my kitties, they are so snuggly and sit on your lap looking for cuddles.

Shanghai is a big bustling city, changing and becoming more modern with each new day. I love it here, we've eaten some incredible food including a delicious Greek meal. Greek food is the one thing I've been missing most, so finding it was an exciting discovery!

Enjoy the pictures of my birthday! Sorry for not posting anything in a while, but we've been relaxing and taking a break from the tourist thing in Shanghai. Riley has satellite television at his house, so we've been hanging out and ordering delivery, it feels like being at home. He calls his house his little piece of Canada in the middle of chaotic China.

We're not sure where we're headed after this, we check out of our hostel on Monday so we'll decide before then where the next destination is.
At the RestaurantAt the RestaurantAt the Restaurant

I'm still wearing my apron in this one, they supply aprons so you keep your clothes clean!

Hope the snow isn't too deep in Calgary!! Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Our CookOur Cook
Our Cook

Working his magic with the food, everything he made was amazing!
Shanghai SkylineShanghai Skyline
Shanghai Skyline

The view from Riley's rooftop.
ViewView
View

Riley is situated in the French Concession, so his view will never be taken away with the building of a huge skyscraper. It's a protected historic site.
TigerTiger
Tiger

This is Riley's cat Tiger. He ran away for a couple months but Riley found him dirty and hiding under a bush in a nearby park.
Judy Two ShoesJudy Two Shoes
Judy Two Shoes

Riley's other cat, a 5 month old kitten named Judy. She's sooo cute!


26th October 2006

Happy B-Day Erin!
Sounds like your 25th will be a memorable one. No snow in Calgary yet! hopefully it stays that way. martin
27th October 2006

yum!
that cake looks bomb. i hope you guys are having a WICKED time! (actually, i know you are LOL) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! love linds
2nd November 2006

Happy Belated!
Happy birthday. Good to read things are keepin on, in the best sense. To think, almost a full year of new adventures left!

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb