Goodbye Shanghi


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 15th 2012
Published: September 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our only full day in Shanghi, we were on the run the whole time. We started off the day by walking along the waterfront. It is amazing to see the huge buildings. Theyall seem to be very unique. They have all been built in the last twenty years. The population is growing so quickly that the government relocated all the farmers away from this area so they could knock downtheir homes and build skyscraper apartment buildings for all the people to live in. This has been done in all of the cities we have visited. According to our guide, they paid for their new apartment in the city, or gave them money to buy an apartment someplace else. They had to do this so there would be a place for the millions of people who live in the city. They have a wonderful highway system here. It is very crowded though, so they are busy building subways. There is a section of Shanghi that is called the bund which is made up of buildings built by the British before the war. There is a definite distinction between those and the new. We also went to a silk factory to they how silk is made. That was very interesting and helps you understand why silk is so expensive. We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant. I will be glad to have an American meal that doesn't involve a lazy Susan! We visited a large art museum also. They had beautiful Chinese artifacts. Believe it or not, they have a Chinatown here. It is the local market. We did a bunch os souvenir shopping there. We had a wonderful Italian dinner in our hotel last night before attending a performance of the Chinese acrobats. The show was incredible. This morning we will pack up again and head for Hong Kong. We will have to go through customs since it isn't considered a part of China. Have a great day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb