Lines or as the British say, "queues"


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Obviously, waiting in a line can be different all parts of the globe. Not merely the action of waiting in line, but the process of getting to the line, the phrases people use to describe the action, and so on and so forth.

For example, the British phrase "queueing-up" means "lining-up" or "getting in line" in America - I'm sure most of you have heard that one. It's not weird really, just different - like many things those Brits do (lol). The procedure remains relatively the same; people form a single, straight line, or double depending on the area. Of course, there are the select few that like to cut in front of others, but that's in every country. In Britain, these people are called "queue jumpers". I'd probably say "cheeky fellow", but then again, I'm not British.

In Shanghai, however, there are no queues. There are no lines or anything - just a bunch of people trying to squeeze themselves into enter and exit gates in the metro. It's hilarious because, deep underground - where the trains really are, not just the walkways to get to the trains - everyone lines-up to get on the train. There are two lines for every door - one on each side - and the middle is left open for the people to walk through who are getting off the train. All logical and smart, right? Well, it pretty much ends right there. Everywhere else, queues don't exist - just person after person cutting until they do whatever it is they need to do.

Ah, such a funny concept. I really do love learning about the differences between countries. It's entertaining, if nothing else.

Advertisement



10th June 2009

Queues
At least the chinois "queue" up to get on the Metro. As I'm sure you know, no one lines up for the Metro is Paris. Instead, everyone pushes and shoves their way in...even when there isn't enough room. Those chinois, I'll tell you what :)

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb