1 wedding, 2 museums


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 26th 2009
Published: May 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our weekend was so crammed pack I can't believe I had to go back to work this morning. Saturday after work we went to our friend June's wedding party. She's a local Shanghainese girl who is marrying a guy from Texas. The party was in a private area at a restaurant, and June made a grand appearance in a beautiful red gown. We've seen June about once or twice a week since we moved here, but I honestly couldn't recognize her. She was very done up! Even though there were only seven foreigners invited to the party the families made us feel very comfortable and they tried to speak as much English as they could with us. I guess that the marriage is arranged and the husband's family "escaped" from Taiwan and lived in Bremerton, WA and now Dallas Texas. He has a great job and they seem really happy together. Her husband has only been to China three times, all after 2003. They left Monday for the states, and are having their wedding in a few weeks. June and I will have to continue e-mailing. All her mannerisms are all very chinese so hopefully she survives! I think that "June in America" would be a great reality tv show. After the wedding party we (the foreigners) went out for a drink and I ended up talking to two girls from Ireland and then later a girl from France. We were all living here doing different things. I'm really going to miss that when we come home.

A co-worker from Canada also has a season's pass to the aquarium, so we went there and ate at subway afterwards. Subway is such a luxury for us and it tasted so good. We can hardly stomach the greasy chinese food. I think that's why the Chinese restaurants in the states aren't authentic food. They wouldn't have much business. I've been told many times that Chinese food is special because they have chilies, and the rest of the world doesn't. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't mexican food usually made with chilies?

Alex and I also went to the Shanghai Crime Museum. We tried to go here with my family, but it was closed for a few months. We found out that it was closed because they added a new floor to the museum. It's hard to tell how much a museum in shanghai will charge. The ones in travel books are around 40 - 60 yuan. But the ones that locals visit are free - 10 yuan. This was 8 yuan. They showed counterfiet money, police uniforms from different time periods, police badges from accross the united states (including washington state, seattle, ...), they also showed photos from murders and the real tools they used. I would recommend this museum to most people that don't get queesy too easily.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb