Enough KTV


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 21st 2009
Published: April 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

It rained most of the weekend which wasn't so bad because it's been getting hot here. I think we're closer to the sun because we feel like we're going to melt. We went to buy electric folding bikes on Friday and the store that we decided to get them from had vanished sometime in the last month. That's so chinese! I don't know how many times we've tried to go back to a place and it's gone.
I fear that this month is going to be filled with more KTV (singing karoke). It was fun going with Alex's teachers a few weeks ago. We were told to meet them at the school, and when we got there a man pulled up with a little girl and said "Hello" then pointed to his back seat. This must be for us! We got in, and he took us to a shopping center where we go a lot (it has a pizza hut, subway, cafe du monde .... everything a foreigner would want). How KTV works is you rent a small room with a disco ball, couches, and a wide screen tv. Before we even sat down the man was belting out some romantic chinese song. The rest of the teachers soon arrived with food (pizza, chicken wings, chicken feet, some more meat that I didn't know, and fruit). They hardly spoke any english, but we had a good time. I sang kokomo, and alex sang hey jude and lola. It was really relaxed, and people just took turns singing while there were many other side conversations. There were three microphones, and sometimes people would just start singing with someone else. At 8pm they said "the party's over" and we all left. I think this is a good idea for maybe a kid's birthday. But, it's what most people do on the weekends. We already have plans to go four more times in the next six weeks with chinese people we work with and tutor.
Today Alex and I only work until 3 pm because our afternoon school is going on a field trip. That's fine with us! We still tutor tonight from 7-8pm, but we'll have a nice long break. Hopefully I can start on some laundry. Yah Hoo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb