Finally, some action...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 19th 2005
Published: June 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

10.00am, Home away from home.

What a beautiful day. The summer weather is perfect. Its not too hot and not too cold. After breakfast we took a cab to Yu Yuan Garden. It is a gorgeous old garden. It was built during the reign of Ming Emperor JiaJing (1559) as the private garden of Pan Yunduan which was an administration commissioner of Sichuan Province. Today, you find Starbucks, KFC and a myriad of western restaurants and fastfoods around every corner. And a bunch of shops selling anything from antiques to flying discs (gasings)to traditional and modern musical instruments. The gasing hovers about 5 cm above the platform using magnet. My sister bought one and we proceeded into the center of the garden.

There are so many people thronging Yu Yuan Garden on this cool saturday morning. The center of the garden is the most beautiful part. Old chinese architecture flanking all around and at the center, a pond filled with goldfish. I spent a lot of time here marvelling at the old architechture and having my own photoshoot right there. I can imagine the emperor walking around here as if it was the center of his government. Like his own putrajaya of his time. Only he is on foot.

3:00pm, Outside Yu Yuan Garden

OK. After walking through the crowd and out of Yu Yuan, we decided to walk the dirty streets in the vicinity of Yu Yuan. At a nearby shops here, i found this guy selling antiques. If i had my way, i would have bought the old shop. But opted to just buy one thing. I bought an old poster and will give it as a present to i dont know who yet.

Gila like...
There was this guy who barked his trishaw right outside Yu Yuan and shouted some mandarin in the hopes that someone would ride his trishaw. With that kind of marketing, i dont think he'd be getting any passengers soon....

My sisters mother in law pointed out to me that there were two chinaman holding hands. I took a quick photo and continued walking and dodging people spitting, sweeping and screaming. Then, there was this old man 'staring kok' at anything walking around him. He looked really scary man. I took his picture too! We walked all the way to Shanghai old street. People were selling really wierd things here. I saw this pants that had a hole at the butt area forcing me to assume that its purpose is easy access in case someone had to do a number 2 (berak). I took a photo of that too! After five more minutes of dodging bycicles, electronic bycicles and motorists we hailed a cab and headed again to Huai Hai Road.

5:00pm, Huai Hai road

Jalan jalan, dinner at some japanese restaurant then balik rumah. The scorn of lepaking with women and sisters in laws. Dont worry. This will be changed. I'll be alone soon. I hope.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



21st June 2005

haha..
heyyy mail!! have to tell u this, i love all of ur collection of pics in shanghai.. pictures tht myself will never take.. and i think ur very creative! hehe.. btw, the 2 chinaman holding hands is damn gayy lahh!!! wht an opportunities u have! :) enjoy ur hols!!
22nd June 2005

send it. its mine
ail cmon givvit back umi forgot to bring it back because u were playing with it so semd it when u can.:b
23rd June 2005

Rivetting...
Looking at the old garden pictures, I could not help but to wonder what would the garden REALLY looked like back in those 'emperor' days. It must have been beautiful. One more thing. Man, GET OUT OF THAT TYPICAL TOURIST IMAGE AND MAKE FRIENDS WITH SOME LOCAL DUDES/DUDETTES ALREADY, AND GET THEM TO SHOW YOU AROUND!!! Looking forward to your next rendezvous. Acura mail, acura!
24th June 2005

booty-less pants!!
one word:KINKY!!! hehe get urself a pair n put on a show for us when u get back to kl wil ya!? =P

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb