Its a enough to make you Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 8th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The BundThe BundThe Bund

The buildings are incredibly high and beautiful.
After saying our goodbyes and fairwells Bev and I were off. Off onto a trip that would start in Shanghai and end up in Guilin (Southern China). But more importantly we were off to the airport. Why more important? Well for the fact that I'm not a big fan of flying. Flying is enough to make me want to Shanghai (throwup). Luckily I don't really get to that point. I blame it on the fact that i'm from Saskatchewan and have become quite fond of havng my feet on flat flat ground. Km's and Km's of flat ground. But hey, somtimes you gotta' just tough er out. Although this would be my first visit to Shanghai, I already had an idea of what to expect. Neon lights, tall buildings, alot of people and don't forget neon lights. Oh do they love neon lights in Shanghai. I don't know what the infatuation is with the whole light thing but they were shinning bright all through the night.
We arrived very early ( 1:00 am ) and easily found the airport shuttle that would take us to the centre of the city despite the fact that the women at the travel information counter said there were no buses that we could take and insisted we used her services for an extreme amount of money. Its not uncommon in high touristy cities to be lied too, but I picked up on her before we were dooped.
We found our hostel and settled in for the night. It was a really nice hostel but the bathroom was kindof a head scratcher. The bathroom had a glass door. Which alone would not pose a problem but due to the fact that my mother was joining me on the trip ment that I would have to leave the room every time she needed to go to the bathroom.
After a great sleep we set off to explore the city and of course we couldn't just pay a taxi to drive us to the Bund ( the river with the high buildings), We had to try and find the subway and figuer it out from there. Surprising it was set up well and easily enough that you can figuer out where to go and get off without being able to read the chinese characters. We made it to the Bund and hung out around there all day and
Blood PressureBlood PressureBlood Pressure

Set up on some odd street at the end of a market were these fine chaps. For 2 yaun you could have your blood pressure taken. Of course we had to give it a try. Bev's a nurse, it just wouldn't be right to say no. Her blood pressure..... drum roll.. 120 over nothing... yes thats right... over nothing. But look on the bright side. At least they've confirmed she has a heart beat.
ended the day by taking a huge boat cruise with two huge dragon heads up and down the river.
All in all the visit to Shanghai was fantastic. Beautiful weather, buildings and scenery. Shanghai is very interesting due to the various types of architecture ( German, Chinese, Western ). You can be walking down a very Chinese area and come across a huge German style building. But as for the amount of people coming and going it was far from relaxing. Its very go go go. If you like neon lights and big buildings then Shanghai's definetly for you. Personally, it was just a little to busy. Mabey it was the areas we were in or just the beggers constantly yelling HELLO HELLO give me money please please that made it hard to really like Shanghai. But hey its only day 1, and the first stop!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Old ManOld Man
Old Man

Just selling stuff and being one of the coolest guys ever.
Mao Zedong 1893-1976Mao Zedong 1893-1976
Mao Zedong 1893-1976

Chinese political leader, poet and founder of People's Republic of China. Although worshiped by millions, it has been said he is responsible for well over 70 million deaths. However Mao's popularity has been enduring even to this day.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb