Day 17


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
August 11th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 16 was mainly spent in airports-I suppose it is the only way to get across this rather large and mountainous country but 5hrs between flights stuck in an airport smaller than luton was not something we were looking forward to. Our guide told us that due to the Olympics there was a lot of extra security so we'd need 2/3hrs at Kunming so our transfer time wasn't too bad, yet felt 30mins was early enough for the first flight-the one she had to get out of bed to accompany us to airport for! Anyway once James managed to get on flight, he was frog marched away from passport check desk not told what was going on (turned out the passport number was wrong on boarding pass) we embarked on what turned out to be a rather dull day but did eventually see us end up in Xi'an and desperate to see the Olympic Opening ceremony.

7.40pm we left hotel and in 30+ degrees and silly humidity pounded the streets looking for anywhere looking lively and with a big screen. The buzz in China about the Olympics is absolutely mad EVERY channel (except the one showing a modern day 'Monkey' 24/7) is about the Olympics so we thought it would be easy....our hotel was pretty central and we'd been told about 'bar street' where everyone goes was close....we were getting a bit jittery and wondering in the air con bar in hotel with big screen may have been a good option after all....7.58pm we turned a corner and saw a big plasma screen on the pavement and lots of Chinese and Westerners drinking beer....we JUST made it!

Day 17 and the only reason to go to Xi'an-the Terracotta Warriors.
Actually breathtaking, when you walk into 'Pit 1', the largest and first to be discovered, it really is amazing. You can't imagine the scale and the number of warriors in there. Having seen pictures (and been taken against our will to 'a replica terracotta warrior factory' en route) you think you know what is coming but it is truly amazing. Pit 2 & 3 are a little dull after pit 1 but to get the full impact it has to be done in order. The uncovered parts that are still in shattered pieces, and the parts that are still untouched while they work out how to stop all the colour fading once exposed to the air are all part of the experience and don't ditract in anyway-although once they get the whole pit restored it will be unbelievable!

We then went off to Hua Quing hot springs. Beautiful but bit hard to top the morning's adventure! Bath...but newer by a few hundred years! Also had some interesting recent (revolution) history too.

Day was finished off with a drive to Hua Shan mountains in preparation for the 5 peak challenge the next morning. Mountain view hotel room, giant pot noodles and the Olympics on tv-perfect!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb