Yushu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Qinghai » Jyekundo/Yushu
August 6th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What a bus trip. It took 18 hours from Xining to Yushu and the roads got worse the closer we got to Yushu. The trip was pretty spectacular with most off it being over 4200 metres, 13,776 feet, and the highest point being 4812 metres, 15,783 feet. I chose for us to travel on the seated coach which was a mistake. It left at 11 o'clock in the morning and I thought that we'd be there for around midnight, how wrong I was.

Once we'd arrived, 5am, we had to wait around for it to get light. First I must explain about the area where we are. It was hit by a devastating earthquake in 2010 which completely destroyed the town and the surrounding area so our map of the town is completely useless. We eventually found a taxi, 80 rmb I was so tired I couldn't be bothered to argue, and asked him to take us to a hotel. He promptly took us to his friends house where the garage had been converted into a room. Needless to say we didn't want to stay here. The taxi driver got the hump and took us to some hotels that were either full or didn't accept foreginers. After a couple of these hotels he said he'd had enough and that we could find one by ourselves. After some walking around we eventually found a guest house and finally managed to get some sleep.

In the afternoon we got up and went for a walk around the town. Wow how friendly the people are here, Tibetans and Han Chinese, with us having our photos taken every five minutes. The town is undergoing some huge construction work, because of the quake, and there are building works going on everywhere.

Enjoy the photos

Jah Bless


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb