Merry Christmas


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Liaoning » Dalian » Jinshitan
December 19th 2009
Published: December 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Christmas Christmas Christmas

Christmas is really becoming a big deal because of all the foreigners. Retailers, restaurants, Jingle Bells music everywhere! none of the Chinese that I've talked to celebrate Christmas, though. My class is going to have a Christmas party with -get ready for this - a Chinese gift exchange!!
Merry Christmas to all of our friends and relatives. It has been such an exciting five months here. We wish that everyone of you could be here to celebrate with us and join us in the wonderful diversity of people, cultures, food, landscape, etc, etc, etc, that we have experienced. When I look back at our home page with 35 years in Peace River, we were definitely a bit hesitant and nervous as we started this journey, but can't imagine our lives without all that we have been exposed to here. Funny how things always work out - God definitely has a plan!

We were planning on a very low-key holiday (Well - sort of a holiday - Who's complaining about a long weekend though). We actually have two long weekends in a row - one for Christmas and one for New Years. Yeah!! People are already concerned for next year, though, because both holidays fall on Saturday. It sounds like a couple of 6 day weeks ahead of time to get the long weekends. That is a long ways away, though.

Our plan for a low key holiday got sidetracked with Rick's achilles injury and subsequent trip to
Party placeParty placeParty place

This is where we had the staff party - a beautiful facility.
Calgary. We were so uncertain as to whether he should stay here or go. Now we shake our heads that we even considered having the surgery here! Six weeks on his back with a full length cast compared to the no-surgery and air-cast that he now has - hard to believe that we came so close to the wrong decision. We are so thankful for Pat and Dale who came through with no questions asked and took Rick in. They have cared for him, fed him, driven him around and generally loved him when we needed it so much. We love you, both!!



It is so wonderful that he is/was able to come back here after only 2 weeks - something we never imagined. At this point he is still not here and we are wondering how he will do the Beijing airport with crutches and a fairly large suitcase. It is a real problem travelling alone in these circumstances, but it will all work out. Rick plans on resting for a week and then heading back to work the following week. We are not sure how he will be getting to work, as it is a
Real EddiesReal EddiesReal Eddies

The caterer for the meal is a Chinese fellow who was trained in Vancouver. He has a great business because he caters to westerners. The menu in his restaurant looks like one in any Canadian restaurant and is quite good. Prices are higher than the small local places, but it is a nice treat once in a while.
bit of a hike from our apartment to his office. He will not be doing it on crutches, that's for sure. We are thinking about a couple of options, one of which is seeing if we can find him a golf cart to travel in. There is also a shuttle bus available, so that may work out as well. As many of you have suggested, squash will have to take second place to more suitable old-folk activities like bridge and maybe the occasional bowling game.

I was expecting to have a lot of time on my hands but it has not worked out that way. School, as usual, keeps me very busy. As well, there have been a lot of social activities happening. Unfortunately, Rick has missed out on a lot of them, but next year he can take part in it all. The school staff had a Christmas party/dinner last weekend at a hotel in Kaifaqu (a large city between here and Dalian). There were 137 staff and spouses attending which was a great turnout. Quite a formal affair at a very nice hotel- dancing, good food and wine. I sure missed my dance partner though! I was
Not the specialty!Not the specialty!Not the specialty!

Eddie does a lot of things well, but the gingerbread house has a bit of work still!
on the organizing committee, so it was fun to be part of getting it planned.

This weekend I went with a few others from the school to the grand opening of a large hotel in Kaifaqu. We were greeted by a string quartet and escorted to oone of the banquet rooms There was a beautiful buffet, with an incredible variety of food. Marinated pigs mouth was one I didnt try. There was great entertainment including a phonomenal dancing act called Face Changers. These two dancers could change their masks instantly while dancing and you had no idea how they did it. One came to shake my hand and while I was looking at his face, his mask changed. Amazing act. We went up to the fancy bar after and danced (again- no partner!) and enjoyed free drinks and entertainment. Tomorrow is another perfomance at the large theatre in Kaifaqu where their symphony performs - I think it will be Christmas music.

I am putting a picture on the blog of another performance - my debut on stage! The fellow who teaches the Mandarin club wanted some of the 'students' (aka teachers learning Mandarin ) to take part in
Face ChangersFace ChangersFace Changers

These dancers amazed even Fairy, our Chinese friend who invited us to the hotel opening. It was almost a magic act as to how they changed masked instantly- either dancing or while shaking hands in front of you.
a show. It was actually the auditions for a large New Year's Gala that is going to be held next week. Foolishly, I agreed, thinking it would be fun to have a group do a song in mandarin, show good spirit and all that. Of course, I couldn't round up any other people willing to be so foolhearty, so was committed to do it anyway. I was pretty panicked for a while, but loved the song that I was doing. At the last minute there was another lady who sang with me. and it all turned out very well. The performance was not picked to go on to the finals, but it was a lot of fun to be part of it. The Chinese staff put such a lot of work into their performances. Two of the acts got picked and the rest of the show will be groups from the other Maple Leaf Schools who will come to take part in the big finale.


It looks like our original holiday plans will be back in action, with modifications of course. I am going to go to Harbin with a group from here. We still have the tickets
Susan's PizzaSusan's PizzaSusan's Pizza

Another 'western' restaurant in Manjiatan belongs to an ex-maple leaf teacher named Stan, who is married to a Chinese woman named Susan. They have a restaurant called - wait for it - Susan's Pizza, and serve only Canadian food as well. I took the class out for lunch one day a couple of weeks ago because it fit in with one of our ESL units. The boys thought they had died and gone to heaven. Fortunately they were paying for their own food, because the amount that some consumed could have fed a family for a week. They just loved the opportunity to get off campus - especially during a school day- and were very appreciative. I just love every one of these boys - they are a wonderful bunch to work with. This is only half of them - the rest are in a different section of the restaurant. Every week their is a group called 'English Corner' that meets here. They come to have an hour of English only speaking and as a bonus get to hang out with the opposite sex - it is the only boy girl club. Pretty rediculous how fanatical the owner is about keeping the boys and girls separated. Another teacher and I are going to have a term end party with both our classes and invite girls to it. The boys are so excited. They are in groups - hosts, waiters, entertainments, gifts, music, bar tenders (pop and water), cleaners. It will be pretty fun.
and it seems a shame not to take adavntage of it. The ice festival is supposed to be spectacular. Rick will stay here though, not wise to be hiking around in ice and snow at -30 with such a fresh injury. We have also decided to go on with our trip to Thailand. We will be doing a lot of beaches and admiring of nice views rather than trekking around. There is a hospital in Bangkok that many staff go to for surgeries, baby deliveries and any medical issues, so we know that he can get care if needed. It seemed a shame not to use the tickets and with two of us, travelling and dealing with airports and transportation will be much easier. It would be hard to stay here for 5 weeks - kind of like a kid staying in residence over the summer when all the rest of the students have gone home.

We are almost to the end of the second term at school. It will mean a lot of changes again. The students that I teach will all write the grade 10 entrance exam. They are the top level of the ESL students and
NewYear's auditionsNewYear's auditionsNewYear's auditions

The night of the New Year's Gala auditions. I just loved the dress that they gave me to wear. I have had one similar to this made, but may have another done at the market in Dalian.
most are very excited about the possibility of moving to grade 10. No one is really sure why this is an option for them, though, because they will join the class at the end of February when we return from our winter break. That means 5 months of work to catch up in all subjects. Crazy. All the boys think they will make it, but the exam is so hard that in reality only a couple will go on. Some do not want to go, but some will be devastated if they don't make it. Such a lot of pressure from their families who think that they are failures because they are in ESL in the first place and now to not make their chance to move on is terrible. They will all move on next year though and I have no dount that all will be very successful in high school and beyond.



It is only one week until Christmas day! Chris and Geoff are spending the holiday together in Whistler which will be especially fun for both of them - time for all of our traditions to be shaken up a bit. No presents or stockings here - out to a restaurant for Christmas dinner because the toaster oven is too small for a turkey! We think about all of our friends and family a lot and hope that the holidays and the new year bring blessings to you all.

Much love from Gail and Rick

Advertisement



19th December 2009

Fantastic
Merry Christmas, I am so happy that you guys took the plunge and set off on what has turned out to be an awesome adventure! There is so much to see and do in our world and so few take advantage of it. I am learning quite a bit about China through your experiences, too bad we aren't still studying China in social. Have a wonderful Christmas and a terrific New Year! Keep on blogging!
20th December 2009

Season's Greeting
Greetings of the Season form Surf side - Saint John NB. I'm surprised, to say the least, at the turn of events for Rick... good to hear he is hopping back into action... still has the spunk that I admired him for back at X. Rick and Gail's your awesome adventures sure are impressive. Gail looking good in the dress .. Rick maybe something a little more conservative next time though...Cool looking couple. All the best of the Season and with your continuing adventures.
21st December 2009

Merry Christmas
So enjoyed reading your post. I am sure you are missing your boys this Christmas, and the boys, I hope, will have a wonderful time, but will miss Mom and Dad, I am sure. Thanks for keeping in touch during Rick's adventure... and I do not want either of you to start playing bridge and other old folk related activites! Keep up the fun stuff, and you will deal with whatever happens!!! Oh, and by the way, Gail, green is your colour.... you look awesome! China is agreeing with you! Hugs to both of you, have a Blessed and Peace Filled Christmas...... Dianne.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb