#20 Retiring Teacher preparing to teach in China (Thoughts on teaching English at TTC)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
April 29th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

temple in Taizhou, Jiangsutemple in Taizhou, Jiangsutemple in Taizhou, Jiangsu

Local temples are open and inviting for worship and visits.
Since the last entry, I have been receiving some extra-ordinary commentary from an Australian teacher of 30 years, who is presently teaching at the same college, Taizhou Teachers College in Jiangsu Province of China, where, so it seems, I will become her colleague in only a few weeks. If there have been any lingering doubts or concerns about my time teaching in China, her encouraging and kind words have settled these apprehensions. She shared with me, that she had been a teacher in Australia for 30 years and semi-retired, and upon contracting with the College this past semester, made these observations about her experiences: "...I have been a teacher in many "guises" for over 30 years in Australia, and I can honestly say this (teaching "communicative" English at Taizhou College) is probably the most satisfying teaching I can remember. ...it is wonderful to have students so keen to learn and with such a thirst for knowledge and experience of other cultures than their own.
To be appreciated and honored as an older teacher is also a breath of fresh air! I am having a marvellous time here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The students are so earnest and charming."
"Holy Schinken", what a climb!"Holy Schinken", what a climb!"Holy Schinken", what a climb!

Prepare yourself for a healthy climb to honor the "Father of Modern China", Dr. Sun Yat Sen, and the loss of a few pounds.

How can commentaries be more encouraging. :-)) The many helpful hints and suggestions she is offering in her informative letters are making the planning and preparations more focused and easier. It will be a delight to work with someone with such dedication to her profession. That she comes from a part of Queensland, Australia called the "Gold Coast" near a city called "Miami Beach", is worthy of notice !! That's correct, I also live on a "Gold Coast'', in a city called "Miami Beach", but USA. It encourages believe in providence and no doubt will make my transition into the culture at the college somewhat less struggling.

To make it easier to understand, what I might expect from the students at the college, she comments: "The students I teach are mostly English majors, so they have a plethora of English subjects, so I mainly focus on building their confidence to speak, and then creating as many opportunities for them to speak as possible. Most of them have been "studying" English for 5-8 years, so they are not really beginners, but on the other hand you will most likely find that there is a considerable gap between their reading and
honoring Dr. Sun Yat Senhonoring Dr. Sun Yat Senhonoring Dr. Sun Yat Sen

These are only few of the steps leading to the Dr. Sun Yat Sen's mausoleum in Nanjing, China
writing skills and their listening and speaking skills (especially the latter). They are gradually learning that it's OK to make mistakes, as that way they can learn. They absolutely love our interactive way of teaching." To me, these sound like classrooms involved in rewarding interaction and learning opportunities, not doubt for both, student and
teacher.

She also reminded me, that it was her thermals, of rewarding use when she visited frigid Nepal, which provided her additional comfort during these past winter months in Jiangsu Province of China. I take warnings of frigid temperatures from a "China-veteran" seriously, for it was the cold of Boston, that drove me to the year-round sunshine of Miami Beach, though colder temperatures also bring with them new adventures. Shopping for thermals will be on my list to do!! Summer clothing is of less consequence, since they can be readely copied by the tailorss, especially with my more "productive" belt-size. I heard the comment of "little Buddha" several times during introductions :-)), and want to believe, that with the healthier and more "exotic" Chinese foods, I am about to begin a very productive "food-diet", far less costly than the "South Beach Diet".

So I
Summer time in NanjingSummer time in NanjingSummer time in Nanjing

Looking down from the mausoleum toward the city, one can notice the haze and humidity of the Nanjing summer. Believe me, it was hot!
have now made reservations on American Airlines, departing Miami for Chicago, and on a direct flight to Shanghai, May 31st. Because of the uncertainty of a return date after the year contract, AAirlines suggested a one-way ticket, which now goes for $1,400, and make plans for a return flight at a future date, and it sounded like good advice. I have been reminded that the amount of luggage-weight is 2 suitcases of no more than 25 kg. each. 50kg. or 100 pounds should provide an opportunity to bring along some selection of personal effects. Items, such as books and classroom materials can still be mailed.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

travel companiontravel companion
travel companion

What a travel companion this Teddy would make.
two great friendstwo great friends
two great friends

Though they will be well taken care off, I will miss two of my companions.


29th April 2006

hahaha
those picture captions are so... you. thanks for adding me to your blog :) i had it on my favorites but i didn't know i could get e-mails about new entries. i love you!
29th April 2006

Retiring [never!] Teacher
Hans, how can you even use the term 'retiring' when we all know you have so much to offer yet. If you can contact me, I have many wonderful things to tell you about a past student of yours who credits you with all the good things that are happening to him.
30th April 2006

inspiration
I believe that u are one of those people who has an opportunity to be remembered all around the whole world. Your pictures are amazing!
30th April 2006

AWW
Lok at the cute teddy bear.. But hey when are you going to put up the pictures of our class... We all love you ^_^

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb