#89 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Dec.2007: My 2nd Christmas at Taizhou Teachers College, China)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
December 15th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

IN ANOTHER 10 DAYS I WILL CELEBRATE MY 2nd CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS IN CHINA, AND IT IS A MOMENT TO REFLECT ON THE BLESSINGS OF MY LIFE. MY 18 MONTHS IN CHINA HAVE BEEN EVERY BIT THE ADVENTURE I HAD HOPED FOR, AND HAVE BROUGHT ME MORE JOY THAN I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR. TO MY WONDERFUL FAMILY, TO MY OLD FRIENDS AT HOME AND IN FOREIGN LANDS, TO MY NEW AND SPECIAL FRIENDS IN CHINA, TO MY CURRENT STUDENTS A... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A stage filled with talent.A stage filled with talent.
A stage filled with talent.

On stage, the same young men put on a colorful performance. Though it was all in Chinese, I enjoyed the presentations very much. They give additional insight into the ancient traditions of China.
The first entry of the competition comes to a close.The first entry of the competition comes to a close.
The first entry of the competition comes to a close.

Gathering for the climax of the story, the enthusiam of the actors brought down the house.
A drama of today's China.A drama of today's China.
A drama of today's China.

A more contemporary entry in the competition showed no less talent among our students.
Capturing the hearts in a wheel-chair.Capturing the hearts in a wheel-chair.
Capturing the hearts in a wheel-chair.

This young actor from the Drama Dept. was the heart-throb for the ladies in the audience.
The role of a father, in a Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet.The role of a father, in a Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet.
The role of a father, in a Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet.

From the English Dept., who at the end won the competion, my student displays talents I have not seen in the classroom.
Will the lips meet??Will the lips meet??
Will the lips meet??

In the death scene of the this play, the audience was screaming in delight as the pairs of lips came ever closer. Kissing in public is still somewhat of a taboo in all aspects of Chinese culture.
Death and tragedy makes for heroes.Death and tragedy makes for heroes.
Death and tragedy makes for heroes.

No drama competition is complete without a play about China's revolutionary heroes of the 1940's.
Both, young and old enjoyed the performances of the evening spectacular.Both, young and old enjoyed the performances of the evening spectacular.
Both, young and old enjoyed the performances of the evening spectacular.

One of the TTC Dept. Chairman and his grandson were delighted by the performance of our students during this special evening.
David is a fabulous young magician.David is a fabulous young magician.
David is a fabulous young magician.

His magic show became one of the highlights of the evening.
One of the musical performancesOne of the musical performances
One of the musical performances

Our Chinese students love to sing and perform. They often go to a place called KTV, where they will sing for each other Kareoke-style. This evening, music was an important part of the competition, and our students don't lack talent.
A great voiceA great voice
A great voice

A beautiful song and a graceful performance captures the heart of the audience.
Graceful as the votes are added up to search for tonight's winner.Graceful as the votes are added up to search for tonight's winner.
Graceful as the votes are added up to search for tonight's winner.

One final dance performance marks the end of the evening, a very memorable night of drama, music, and dance.
Announcement of the winnersAnnouncement of the winners
Announcement of the winners

Two talented M.C's. announce the English Department (of course) as the winner of the evening, with their stunning performance of the Chinese version of Romeo and Juliet.
The English Dept. wins the drama contest.The English Dept. wins the drama contest.
The English Dept. wins the drama contest.

With great pride did these young actors from the English Department accept 1st. Place for the evening.
Cultural note:  The Moon-cakeCultural note:  The Moon-cake
Cultural note: The Moon-cake

During Mid-Autumn Festival, it is a custom to present friends with little "Moon-cakes" to remember, enhance, and deepen friendships. They can be filled with various meats or they can have a sweet filling.
Cultural note:  The Moon-cake 2Cultural note:  The Moon-cake 2
Cultural note: The Moon-cake 2

For its size, the Moon-cake, traditionally given as presents during the Mid-Autumn Festival to friends, looks much like a pastry. Chinese Characters grace the top of the crust and they are heavy and quite filling.
Cultural note:  The Red Eggs (that are really black)Cultural note:  The Red Eggs (that are really black)
Cultural note: The Red Eggs (that are really black)

When a child is born, ancient customs and traditions encourage the parents to hand a little red bag to friends and co-workers. On the red bag is the face of a baby and it usually contains 3 black eggs, that are also wrapped in red. The color red in China is the symbol for luck, happiness, and good things. The shape of the egg is round, and round stands as a symbol for perfection. The number 3 is a very lucky and auspicious number in Chinese tradition.



15th December 2007

I am the First! :-)
WOW! I am the first one to leave a comment. Cheers! Hope you can get used to the cold weather in Taizhou. Always keep yourself warm and hope people around you can make your mood shiny inside. :-)
15th December 2007

amazing changes in the city
I am stunned to see the many changes and beautiful river and parks - it was only 2005 when I was there with my son(and hometown Taizhou boy) Tai, and the transformation is lovely. My son is willing now to go back to visit at once, as long as he can eat his McDonald's french fries daily!
15th December 2007

Thanks for the gift of observation and insights into your "chinese" life. Fascination and enlightenment exquisitely presented. Happy Chirstmas to you Professor and beloved friend!!
15th December 2007

Culture
It really is a culture shock seeing how different things are around the world. I am so glad you are loving your new home, we miss you here in Miami. Merry Christmas Herr Schneider!
15th December 2007

happy holidays
Have a very very merry Christmas, Schneider. I hope the new year brings you a thousand more adventures that you can share with us. Take care.
16th December 2007

Great photos once again!
Hi Hans, Great blog once again and I must say being without your personal camera hasn't affected the quality of your photo essays one bit! Now, I'd better get back on the job myself. Far too long since I published a blog of my own! Hard to believe yet another teaching term at Taizhou Teachers College is almost at a close. Keep warm and happy Sue
20th December 2007

Happy Holidays!!
hey Schnieder! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!! I wish you all the best with your new students and may the year of the Rat bring you luck and prosperity! Love always, Veronica C.
23rd December 2007

Oh wow. It looks so awesome to live there... Cute puppy too... Merry Christmas Mr. Schneider! :D I'm glad you're having fun.
29th December 2007

Thank you very much!
Hello, Hans ,Thank you !
10th February 2010

Wow,your life is so colourful!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb