#89 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Dec.2007: My 2nd Christmas at Taizhou Teachers College, China)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
December 15th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

IN ANOTHER 10 DAYS I WILL CELEBRATE MY 2nd CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS IN CHINA, AND IT IS A MOMENT TO REFLECT ON THE BLESSINGS OF MY LIFE. MY 18 MONTHS IN CHINA HAVE BEEN EVERY BIT THE ADVENTURE I HAD HOPED FOR, AND HAVE BROUGHT ME MORE JOY THAN I COULD HAVE ASKED FOR. TO MY WONDERFUL FAMILY, TO MY OLD FRIENDS AT HOME AND IN FOREIGN LANDS, TO MY NEW AND SPECIAL FRIENDS IN CHINA, TO MY CURRENT STUDENTS A... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

A fresh catch for lunch!A fresh catch for lunch!
A fresh catch for lunch!

The rivers and canals around Taizhou are once again jumping with fish, large and good enough to eat.
A childrens play-area long the river banks.A childrens play-area long the river banks.
A childrens play-area long the river banks.

The children of Taizhou are entertained in a play area not far from the river. New towers and buildings grace the sky-line of the city in the back-ground.
Children only, please.Children only, please.
Children only, please.

A more permanent play area in one of the many parks along the rivers of Taizhou is enjoyed by both children as their parents keep a protective eye on their "little emperors"
 Children's transport in comfort and style. Children's transport in comfort and style.
Children's transport in comfort and style.

One of the ways to transport the children safely to the play areas is on the back of a wagon, attached to a bike, peddled by grandma.
The Pozije Commercial Area  is now open for business.The Pozije Commercial Area  is now open for business.
The Pozije Commercial Area is now open for business.

A new retail space in the Pozije Commercial area just across the river of Taizhou nears completion. Some of its commercial space is in operation, including a long awaited Pizza Hut.
Standing in line for a 94-Yuan ($14) PizzaStanding in line for a 94-Yuan ($14) Pizza
Standing in line for a 94-Yuan ($14) Pizza

One of the newest treats in Taizhou is the now open Pizza Hut, where people stand in line for hours waiting for a table to try one of the West's most popular foods. Most visitors here have never tasted a pizza prior to their visit.
The first question to me is always: "Where are you from??"The first question to me is always: "Where are you from??"
The first question to me is always: "Where are you from??"

Four young Korean exchange students in Taizhou celebrate a birthday with a "meat-lovers-thin-crust" pizza across from our table.
Jay is hoping for a visa from the US Consulate in Shanghai.Jay is hoping for a visa from the US Consulate in Shanghai.
Jay is hoping for a visa from the US Consulate in Shanghai.

Jay is a newly graduated H.S. student, who has applied for a visa to study in the US. He invited me to Pizza Hut for a discussion and to practice the use of "fork and knife", something he had never done.
Taizhou's first McDonald's!!Taizhou's first McDonald's!!
Taizhou's first McDonald's!!

The one and only McDonald's of Taizhou is now open for business across the street from Pizza Hut. It also ies considered quite expensive for Chinese standards.
Ronald McDonald is ready to pose with the customers.Ronald McDonald is ready to pose with the customers.
Ronald McDonald is ready to pose with the customers.

The representation of Ronald McD. is ready to greet the visitors to the newest gourmet-station of Taizhou.
"Welcome and enjoy our food!""Welcome and enjoy our food!"
"Welcome and enjoy our food!"

One of my students found herself a part-time job and greets customers at the entrance. Part of her success in landing this position was her skill in the English language, encouraged by "yours truly"!
A Western food experience in Taizhou brings in the crowds.A Western food experience in Taizhou brings in the crowds.
A Western food experience in Taizhou brings in the crowds.

Inside McDonalds, customers are hoping to find a table to enjoy a new kind of food. The burgers are fairly expensive and quite small compared to what is offered in Miami.
Parked mopeds and bikes by the hundreds in front of McDonald's Parked mopeds and bikes by the hundreds in front of McDonald's
Parked mopeds and bikes by the hundreds in front of McDonald's

The crowds gather along the new commercial streets, where balloons lead them to the entrance of the new shopping area.
Scooters and mopeds have replace the bikes of Taizhou.Scooters and mopeds have replace the bikes of Taizhou.
Scooters and mopeds have replace the bikes of Taizhou.

More bikes, mopeds, and scooters lead the way toward Pizza Hut in the far distance to the left, into the new Pozije Commercial area, where new apartment complexes are now towering into the sky-line of Taizhou.
Another new super-mall in Taizhou opens its doors.Another new super-mall in Taizhou opens its doors.
Another new super-mall in Taizhou opens its doors.

Announcing the grand opening of another super-mall in the center of Taizhou near the new Pozijie Commercial Area with some 8 floors of retail space.
The green spaces along the river.The green spaces along the river.
The green spaces along the river.

After my lunch at the Pizza Hut I continue walking the banks of the river, where new parks and green spaces are being created daily. Though not yet open to the public, they permitted me to walk the area for a few photos. The new park is impressive.
A small buddhist shrine A small buddhist shrine
A small buddhist shrine

A small temple-shrine invites to meditation and prayer along the river.
Stones are used to record events and history in China.Stones are used to record events and history in China.
Stones are used to record events and history in China.

Here a large stone is being inscribed by a craftsman with Chinese Characters at the entrance of a new park, the way it has been done for thousands of years.
A look into Taizhou's historyA look into Taizhou's history
A look into Taizhou's history

Small museums within the parks beautifully display costumes and living conditions of Taizhou's past.
I had the park to myself for the afternoon.I had the park to myself for the afternoon.
I had the park to myself for the afternoon.

A new Pagoda graces the new park areas, and this one will house one of the ancient bells of China.
Boat constructed of stone and wood.Boat constructed of stone and wood.
Boat constructed of stone and wood.

One of new park areas now boast a boat of stone to invite the visitors to sit, rest, and sip some tea with friends.



15th December 2007

I am the First! :-)
WOW! I am the first one to leave a comment. Cheers! Hope you can get used to the cold weather in Taizhou. Always keep yourself warm and hope people around you can make your mood shiny inside. :-)
15th December 2007

amazing changes in the city
I am stunned to see the many changes and beautiful river and parks - it was only 2005 when I was there with my son(and hometown Taizhou boy) Tai, and the transformation is lovely. My son is willing now to go back to visit at once, as long as he can eat his McDonald's french fries daily!
15th December 2007

Thanks for the gift of observation and insights into your "chinese" life. Fascination and enlightenment exquisitely presented. Happy Chirstmas to you Professor and beloved friend!!
15th December 2007

Culture
It really is a culture shock seeing how different things are around the world. I am so glad you are loving your new home, we miss you here in Miami. Merry Christmas Herr Schneider!
15th December 2007

happy holidays
Have a very very merry Christmas, Schneider. I hope the new year brings you a thousand more adventures that you can share with us. Take care.
16th December 2007

Great photos once again!
Hi Hans, Great blog once again and I must say being without your personal camera hasn't affected the quality of your photo essays one bit! Now, I'd better get back on the job myself. Far too long since I published a blog of my own! Hard to believe yet another teaching term at Taizhou Teachers College is almost at a close. Keep warm and happy Sue
20th December 2007

Happy Holidays!!
hey Schnieder! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!! I wish you all the best with your new students and may the year of the Rat bring you luck and prosperity! Love always, Veronica C.
23rd December 2007

Oh wow. It looks so awesome to live there... Cute puppy too... Merry Christmas Mr. Schneider! :D I'm glad you're having fun.
29th December 2007

Thank you very much!
Hello, Hans ,Thank you !
10th February 2010

Wow,your life is so colourful!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.1285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb