Yangshou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
November 9th 2005
Published: November 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Rice fields along the riverRice fields along the riverRice fields along the river

Beautiful countryside we biked through
We had a great week in Yangshou, enjoying the great food, fantastic scenery, and the very slow pace of the town. Several days we rented bikes and just toured around the rural countryside, among the rice fields, seeing people working the field, fishing, and the occasional water buffalo all surrounded by the beautiful karsts. There are hundreds of them and make a beautiful backdrop for the countryside. We took a bus to Xingping along the Li River but the water is so low, we were not able to take the boat ride back to Yangshou. So the next day we biked along the Yulong River and returned by putting the bikes on a a tiny bamboo raft amd enjoyed the most peaceful 2 hr ride on the river.

While walking around town we saw a reader board advertising English teachers needed. Within 24 hrs we had met the owner of a college and placement center, travelled one hour north to Guilin to see the high school and the apt that would be provided. And by Sunday had committed to one month of teaching and moved in!!

The apt is really quite nice, a large 2 bedroom with basic furnishings
Along the riverAlong the riverAlong the river

Beautiful countryside we rafted through
that include bed, table, chairs, frig, TV, DVD and computer with internet connection. An older American couple only taught for 1 month as the 6 flights of stairs to the apt became too difficult for them. I guess it will keep us in shape as we seem to go up and down them about 4xs per day!!

We each teach 20 hrs per week, Ed in Jr High as we are told these kids are a bit more difficult, and I will teach Sr High. It should be interesting! Fortunately we are only to work on their pronunciation and listening skills! The classes are large 50 kids so we it will be a bit of a challenge!! Just another adventure!!

The kids are taking exams this week, so we will not start until Monday. Most of our classes are in the afternoons so we will still have some free time to enjoy the city. And do some weekend trips.
Guilin has about 1m people, small by China standards. They have kept most of the construction to 6 floors to not block the karst so it feels smaller.

Although it is great having a computer in the apt,
The real reason for locks on rivers...The real reason for locks on rivers...The real reason for locks on rivers...

These small stone dams were about every 25 minutes...dragging the boat up and over and the bamboo raft is heavy!!
the internet connection is a bit hit and miss so I will get this sent before I lose it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Refreshments on the River Refreshments on the River
Refreshments on the River

Always important to have refreshments close by!!
Rice Noodles dryingRice Noodles drying
Rice Noodles drying

These are an area speciality and are delicious
YanshouYanshou
Yanshou

Restaurants and shops galore!!


Tot: 0.663s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 39; qc: 155; dbt: 0.135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb