Labor Day


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shenzhen
June 4th 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bruce and NadiaBruce and NadiaBruce and Nadia

Bruce was standing on a plinth. He's not really that tall.
Labor Day! May 1st was Labor Day here in China. We all had the Saturday off and celebrated by taking a walk through Lian Hua Shan Park (along with a few thousand other people). Nothing funny happened, so I’ve no quirky story from the day.

It was really hot and humid that day. We met at Bruce and Rosemary’s apartment then walked over the park and started the ascent. Lian Hua Shan has quite a large hill with winding pathways all around. We didn’t climb to the top but meandered around ‘till we came out on the other side near the Shao Nian Gong metro stop and the Book City mall.

One of the benefits of living in Shenzhen is all the western conveniences and this shopping center has a Dairy Queen. After our sticky sweaty walk we all felt like getting an ice cream. After ice cream everyone went their separate ways.

I have often likened the day-to-day crowds in this city to Christmas Eve at Any Mall USA. So you can imagine the absolute crush of people that flood retail outlets when there is a holiday here. Kim and I went into the bookstore and quickly realized that entering the store was a mistake. But Kim needed to buy something so we pinballed off of carts, shelves, and people all the way through to the check out then squeezed through the choked exit.

Kim and I went to NYPD (the absolute best pizza in Shenzhen) then returned to my apartment for a good dose of air-con, pizza, and pirate DVD viewing.

If I’m back in the States in time, I’ll get to celebrate Labor Day again in September. It’ll be hot and humid then too. But, instead of a park, I’ll be sweating it up at the Maryland Renaissance Festival.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The whole gangThe whole gang
The whole gang

From the left: Tommy, Ella, Bruce, Nadia, Ian, Kevin, Nate, Angie, Kim, and Rosemary
Kim and Nadia strike a poseKim and Nadia strike a pose
Kim and Nadia strike a pose

Rosemary and Ian pretend not to be in the picture
In the Dairy QueenIn the Dairy Queen
In the Dairy Queen

If anyone can explain what this man
A useful BillboardA useful Billboard
A useful Billboard

because there are so many fat Chinese women that require extensive girdling
NYPDNYPD
NYPD

Best pizza around!


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb